Security -> Allowed Country Codes: Does Not Block North America Unless Provider Requires '1'

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by techsitters, Jun 13, 2017.

1. techsitters

Currently, 3CX matches Allowed Country Code restrictions based on country code and number dialed (exact match). Many providers accept or require 10 digit dialing for North American destinations WITHOUT the (1) country code.

...As such, many 3CX users are under the false impression that country blocking is working when in fact, it is not for North American destinations.

Since a high percentage of toll fraud is to destinations such as the Bahamas, Caribbean, etc., I feel it necessary to expand the country blocking to detect North American destinations dialed as 10 digits without the country code.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

But country blocking is per country at the moment. Bahamas and anything else which is +1 will be allowed if you need to make calls to the us.
    This is the problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. techsitters

So are you saying the filter for say Bahamas is not supposed to work if it is un-selected but other destinations in North America selected? (see attached screenshot)

... or that your matching is only built for +1? If the latter, it would not be a great undertaking to add a second set of rules without the +1 for North America as there are not many area codes outside of the US and Canada in North America.

So for example... match the destination Dominica based on 1767 or 767 so that the rule is caught regardless if the client sends their provider or gateway 10 or 11 digits.

Attached Files:

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

No you are right.. If you configured this as you show in the screen, then calls to numbers that START with +1242 will be blocked.
    This is how it works.

Now if you can dial the bank of bahamas in 2 ways (242) 461-3510 and +1 (242) 461-3510 then we have to ensure that whatever the user dials, it is sent out as +1 (242) 461-3510

So what I would do is at outbound rule level, if a user dials (242) 461-3510, I would PREPEND +1.
    If a user dials +1 (242) 461-3510 we have no change - it will be blocked.

PS this is a feature we are missing and we are discussing it to be honest. The feature is number normalization - A way all numbers are normalized using a regex chosen by the customer so we make sure that all nuimbers are the same structure, and therefore the normalized standard action will kick in.

For now you need to workaround.. But you can achieve this..

5. techsitters

Is there a work around in the event that the provider or gateway is looking for 10 digits without the +1. It is almost as if we need (2) outbound rule processes. One to format or normalize the number for the outbound country blocking and one to format the number for the providers requirements.

While any provider should be able to modify a customers SIP trunk to accept 1 or +1, there are many providers (including 3CX supported providers) that standardize on 10 digit dialing for North America and require the call be sent without the +1. In this event, is there anyway that you know of to satisfy the provider requirement and still allow the north america country blocking to work?

6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

It sounds like you need to write some outbound rules based on the Area Codes you want to block then if they do not allow you to send a 1.

Outbound Rule,
    Starts with xxx,xxx,xxx and 10 digits long - BLOCK

7. techsitters

Writing outbound rules is fine for a single deployment but my concern is for 3CX users as a whole. We have ran into numerous situations where end-users or integrators have deployed systems thinking that the country blocking is protecting them against fraudulent calling when in-fact, it is not matching the traffic. I understand it is currently a limitation of how the country blocking is implemented which is why I wanted to start the thread in the ideas section. It is my hope that 3CX will consider expanding the matching rules to look at North American destinations with and without the '1' or '+1'