Seeking advise

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Basheer, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basheer

Hi,
    I would like to get an expert advise/openion.
    Can I install 3cx server installation in the head office and use SIP phones in branch offices which are connected through vpn. (PSTN not involved). What are considerations i have to look into?
    - How much bandwidth it may consume?
    - Is this type of implementation is advised in corporate environment?

Thanks for any input

2. jb

jb

Hi,

Bandwidth used is about 64Kbps for each connected call with normal compression codecs (you should probably allow about 80Kbps).[/quote]

3. iang

Aside from bandwidth, the other consideration will be the latency (the time it takes for the data to travel from the source to the destination) and the reliability of packet delivery.

A simple way to measure the latency would be to ping from one computer in the HQ to one in the branch office. If you lose responses or have a high latency (say > 60ms - I no expert here, but I'm sure someone else knows!) then you will probably find the experience VOIP irritating!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AndrewRTS

Our configuration is this:
    3CX at our office connected across the local LAN with 6 phones.
    I have one phone at my house connected via our SonicWall VPN.
    We have a TZ170 at the office and I have an old SOHO3 at home.

My ping across the VPN to the office from home is between 75 and 85ms.

The sound quality is spectacular. I could hear a clock ticking across the room as if I was an inch from it. We have Linksys SPA942 phones currently, and our 3CX server is a dedicated 2.8GH Xeon box.

When I make an outside call using the PSTN Gateway it is also great. The only thing I've had any issues with were using our VoIP lines. There is a bit of lag there since the data is hopping from the Internet to our office and then over the VPN to the house. I setup "Line 4" on the Linksys as a direct connection to the VoIP lines for outgoing calls.

Good luck!
    -A

5. Basheer

Thanks a lot for all of your responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.