Segregating users on 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ralph, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Ralph

Ralph Member

I've been talking with a client that owns 2 seperate small businesses.
    He would like to have both businesses run off the same PBX.

Is there a way to segregate the 2 businesses on the same 3CX server so that the users are not able to call extentions in the other business?

Thanks again

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

If they can not call each other -- What is the reason to run it on one 3cx server than?

3. Ralph

Ralph Member

Good afternoon

He wants to save on the cost of having a seperate server for each company.

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

We never thought about such scenario. And, presonally, I don't think it is worth of efforts. Actually, he don't need dedicated servers, especially for small business office, so it couldn't be the reason.

5. daves

Hi Ralph

You asked - Is there a way to segregate the 2 businesses on the same 3CX server
    so that the users are not able to call extentions in the other business.

Consider This for a theory - If for example the extensions in one business are say in the
    range 700 - 709 and the other business 710 - 720, then in the phones create different dial
    plans depending on which of the businesses the phones are from. Such that the dial rule for
    the 700 - 709 business phones would look something like this (70xS0|71x!) and the other
    business would have phones with the dial plans like (71xS0|70x!). This would mean that
    each of the two businesses can call the extensions in their own group of extensions,
    but be barred from calling extensions in the other business group. Of course it would
    depend on the phones being used if you can include the above concept in the dial plans.

I hope this helps

6. Ralph

Ralph Member

Thanks daves

Thanks daves,

I hadn't thought about trying to segregate them using the phones software. :)

I'll look into it.

Good morning Archie,

I only know that he (the client) asked for this capability. Naturally, I have to see if it's possible in order to facilitate a sale.

Take care,

7. Psychlist1972

Another option, if they want complete segregation and the ability to have different prompt sets etc, would be to have virtual servers running on the same physical hardware. Each virtual would have one business on it.

You'd need to segregate any gateways too, I would think.

I haven't tried this, but I assume it would work.

Pete

8. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Roger that it will work on virtual servers, but it may appear choppy if hardware is not powerful enough. And one needs quite good (nearly high end) box to run couple of virtual servers smoothly. Especially if a lot of IVR functionality involved (writting/reading v-mails is quite disk I/O consuming).
    I still think it's cheaper to buy two (even outdated PCs) - and they will work better.

9. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

Maybe someone has simply overlooked this but what about using different digital receptionists and utilize different inbound rules.

If say 555-1234 rings then direct to IVR1 for XYZ Company

or

If 555-1235 rings then direct to IVR2 for THY Company

You could setup your extensions any way that you want.

This is the real flexibility that VoIP offers. The ability to think "outside the box"

10. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

A multi tenant PBX is definitely an interesting option but not something that we will be doing very soon. We have our road map pretty much done for v4 and v5 which will take us into q1 of next year. But beyond that we might consider it...