Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Segregating VOIP and data, all looks fine, but 3CX can't see the phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Owen Last, Nov 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owen Last

Hey, wondering if someone can help. we're looking to buy 3CX, but our current set up with our other phone system has it so all of our phones run over a VOIP network, and data over another.

it seems as if you can do this in 3CX, however 3CX won't see any of the phones plugged into the VOIP network. we're running it on a Windows 10 instance, on Hyper-V, on a Microserver, which has three network ports, and they're visible in 3CX (it asks you which interface you'd like the phones to be provisioned on)

however, none of the phones that are plugged into the 2nd (VOIP) network are picked up in 3CX, it just doesn't display anything. I've tried manually provisioning them and still nothing, the phone (Yealink T27G) just displays "no service"
    i've checked it's not the phone, as if i plug it onto our data network, 3CX see's it, no issue.

is anyone able to offer any advice? the IP address for data is 192.168.16.xxx, the VOIP is 11.0.0.xxx

2. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

Are the networks vlan ?

What is the IP address of the phones, it is the same as the 3CX server range

How many network ports are assigned to the Hyper-v 3CX Win 10 machine, probably best to just assign one.

3. Owen Last

they're not vlan, no, they're completely separate network ports. there are two ports assigned to the Hyper-v 3CX Win 10 machine.

What we were hoping to do was have all the phones on a lan from, let's say, network port 1. they'll have their own IP address range that'll differ from;
    network port 2, which will be on our data network, so we can log onto the VM and connect to the 3CX system from our data network.

network port 3 will carry the voice traffic straight out over the WAN (we've had it configured on our router that one of the ports is just for voice traffic)

hope that helps

4. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

How many phones are on the network ?, as you may be trying to make it more complicated it has to be

As above, what is the ip address of the phone - how does it gets its IP address, do you have two DHCP servers (one for data and one for VOIP) ?

Is the phone IP address on the same as 3CX server.

This may help - https://www.electronicfrontier.co.uk/3cx-install-2-nics-dhcp-option-66/

5. Owen Last

there will be approx. 40 phones on the network. currently i'm just testing it with two.
    the IP address on the phone is 11.0.0.12, it's using DHCP, from the Win 10 machine that 3CX is installed on.

the Win 10 machine has two network cards, one has the IP 11.0.0.1 (static) (when logged onto the Win 10 machine, I can log onto the phone via my browser, so I know they can see eachother atleast)

the other is set to dynamic IP, which is picks up from our DHCP server (currently it's 192.168.16.139)

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

First i would recommend installing the PBX and the phones on the same network. Then i would recommend using a valid local IP range as defined in RFC1918. 11.0.0.1 is not a valid local IP range and therefore it will be regarded by the PBX as public.
    Then having a DHCP server on the same machine as 3CX is not supported as 3CX needs a dedicated machine to avoid future issues

7. Owen Last

hey YiannisH.
    So does 3CX only look for local IP address ranges? We don't want to have the phones and data on the same network as we want the phones to be on a different IP range.

So if there were a separate DHCP server just for the phones, that sat on a different machine that the PBX connected to (different host) that would work? as opposed to having the DHCP server sat on the same machine?

8. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

3CX PBX listens to multicast from phones that arrive on the machines nic. If the requests are not arriving then phones will not appear in the management console.
    Please read this link for more information regarding this.

9. Owen Last

I've had a look at that link, thank you, and everything is set up exactly as it suggests. the only difference is the "References" in CMD (after typing in Netsh interface ipv4 show join) show as 0, not 1 like in the example. would this make a difference?

when you say the PBX should be on the same local subnet, do you mean that the IP address shown in network settings under "Select Network Card Interface; Choose which IP is the Default Internet facing IP address (Default Gateway)?

or any of the IP's under "Network interface for registration and provisioning". if it's the latter, then they are both on the same subnet, as i log onto the phone from the 3CX PC, so there is definitely a connection between the PC and the Yealink phone.

I've also tried removing DHCP completely, and having the phone with a static address of 172.16.12.10, and the 2nd NIC with a static address of 172.16.12.1. both the same subnet (255.255.255.0), and again, both can interact with eachother. The phone however just doesn't show in 3CX

10. Owen Last

This is the result I get after netsh

upload_2017-11-10_15-58-37.png

Attached Files:

11. Owen Last

it's because the phones were on a Public LAN, i've changed it to 172.16.12.xxx and re-provisioned the phones and they work. the phone's don't appear automatically however in 3CX, but we can manually add them for now.

thank you everyone for your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.