Selection of sound playback and recording device

Discussion in 'Windows' started by coatline, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coatline

Great product. One things that means we can't use it right now in our office, but which I assume would be quite straightforward to add:

It is really important to have the option in the settings to select the particular sound playback (for phone earpiece) and recording device (for phone mouthpiece). We have 50 staff who use their PCs for a variety of applications and who also use a low cost USB phone handset (DLink DPH-10U). It is not possible, nor desirable, to have phone call conversations coming out of the main laptop speakers in a busy office, nor to have the normal Windows/other application sounds coming out of the USB phone handset. Either of the above could be accomplished by changing the Windows default sound device before the VOIP client is started. However the VOIP client really needs to be able to select its own sound devices in order to work seamlessly as a standalone phone.

Also, it would be very sensible to allow an independent sound playback device to be chosen for the phone ringing sound on incoming calls (this would generally be set as the main PC speakers - in order to attract the user's attention when not holding the USB handset the ear, or when a few feet away from the desk). Consider the fact that a normal office telephone doesn't send it's incoming call loud bell ringing sound from the phone earpiece - it has a separate bell/speaker which is much louder and can ring without the risk of accidently deafening the end user.

This would be a must-have for us in order to use the VOIP client as a substitute for a hardphone.

Thanks.

2. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

I agree about the first part being a useful requirement (although it's more governed by Windows than 3CX), but surely the second part is surely an issue with the hardware you've chosen and the suitability of a softclient for use in a multiple office-type environment?

i.e. I would never dream of expecting an office full of users to have to use the softclient. To me, it's purely a device for the roadwarrior or hotdesker who needs access to their phone from anywhere. In an office environment I would look to provision proper VoIP handsets.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

The choice of default devices is a windows setting, but the choice of which device is used by which application is an application setting.

For example (to name a few), xlite, sjphone, skype, msn / live messenger all allow you to specify the ring device, the recording device & the playback device. They list the available devices as recognised by windows.

to be seriously considered, the 3cx voip phone must allow selection of the recording & playback device as well as the ring device.

We use voip phones in the office (SPA941s), but soft-phones on the road - xlite rather than the 3cx phone for this very reason.

The other issue is the last thing someone wants who is using a headset is the ringing in their headset deafening them (even temporarily).

4. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

All very good suggestions. For myself I must admit that I was amazed that this application was released without the ability to select the ring device and the headset / playback device independent of the Windows default devices.

I installed it, spent an extreme amount of time searching, then eventually reading the manual. I then immediately un-installed it and returned to Eyebeam. Not ready for practical use as yet in my humble opinion.

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback. we will consider this in the new year....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.