Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Selective listen/record calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by sc911, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sc911

We are on a PRO edition and would like to listen to calls and/or record them. This is easy to accomplish, just assign the permissions to the managers and check „record all calls“.

But: we are forced by law to let callers and agents opt out of this.

I currently can’t find a way to accomplish this with 3cx.

Let’s limit this to incoming calls: we can play an intro prompt, telling the caller to say when he or she doesn’t want to be recorded or listened. But what to do then?

Having checked the “record all” box, we are continuing to record this call. Is there a way to prevent this? Ok, when using this record afterwards you will hear this “no” and can stop playback, but actually this is kind too late.

Even worse on listening: the listener could start listening after the caller said “no”, so he/she isn’t even aware of the caller not allowing this.

And then to the agents: some of them could opt out for all calls. How to prevent any recording/listening of their calls?

I could think of some ways to accomplish this but none of them is complete…

We could create a special call queue all callers a routed to when pressing a specific digit after the intro prompt. But then “record all calls” still records those calls and not listening to a call is still depended on the listener not to do it on this queue.

The listen rights are only based on listeners not on those who is listened to (queue or agent). And there is now way to only record all calls of a specific queue.

Using call flow designer we can set some properties but is there a property disabling recording and denying listening?

Am I missing something? Is this even possible? Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. mariosM_3CX

mariosM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @sc911

There is an option for Queues to allow the callers opt out of recordings.
    You can do this by going to the Management Console>Call Queues>Select your Queue>Edit>Advanced(Pro). Here select the option "Give caller ability to opt out of recording (DTMF 3)" and make sure that you inform the callers about this option from the intro prompt.

Important:
    Don't select the option "Play full intro prompt before calling agents" in the Queue's General Options because if the caller presses 3 before the prompt is over this will be ignored and the call will be recorded.

As for the agents, if they are using the 3CX Windows Client, they can manually stop the recording after they answer. This can also be done from an ip phone if the phone supports setting a line key function to start/stop recordings. Note though that in this case the recordings will start but the agent can stop the recording before any conversation.

3. sc911

Hello @mariosM_3CX

thanks for the quick reply! I've seen this option but was not able to find more info about this.

So to break it down: I will record and activate an intro promt that tells the caller to press 3 if he does not want to be recorded, un-check the "Play full intro prompt before calling agents" and check the "Give caller ability to opt out of recording (DTMF 3)" option?

This solves one part of my problem. Thanks!

As for the agents: I'm pretty sure that stopping the recording each time manually won't be a solution the agents will be happy with.

And do you habe any tips regarding listening?

4. mariosM_3CX

mariosM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @sc911

For this part
    Yes, that's correct.

Just a clarification. Do you want to record all calls except those that the callers or agents deny recording?
    Or you need to only record some calls in some occasions but you need the caller or agent permission first.

As for listening, do you mean to listen in the conversation live or listen to the recordings afterwards?

5. sc911

Hello @mariosM_3CX

Recording: yes, it should be an opt-out, so record all incoming calls for a queue but allways exclude some agents and opt-out if caller requests.

Listening: its about live listening, same rules like recording.

Thanks for your help!

6. mariosM_3CX

mariosM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @sc911

The recordings are not set per Queue but per extension. So either you enable recordings for all agents in that Queue and let the callers and agents opt out manually per call or you deselect the option to record calls for some agents so they won't need to opt out manually in every call(but note that with this way all calls that are answered by this agent won't be recorded even if the caller doesn't opt out.)

Now for the listening i'm afraid that you cannot do exactly what you want. You may want to post a suggestion for this in our Ideas forum here https://www.3cx.com/community/forums/3cx-ideas/ to be considered.

Note though that listening works differently. You enable an extension to be able to listen on calls, per group. That means the extension will be able to listen to calls that are part of its group. I'm not sure if you can do something with that, based on the example that you mentioned, to direct calls in different queues based on the caller's selection(in an IVR) regarding listening. You can for example create two Queues, add extensions to them from two different groups and give the agent that will listen to calls the right to listen to calls of the one group only(the group of the extensions that are part of the queue that allow listening). The major problem with this approach though is that you can't have all extensions taking calls from both queues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.