• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Send Welcome Email broken on vanilla install

Status
Not open for further replies.

tztztz

Reaction score
When selecting any user in Extensions, and clicking 'Send Welcome Email', 3CX returns the error:

"An exception occurred Error: Unknown error (0x80005000)"

nothing is logged with highest verbosity turned up, and no email is sent. The 3CX Windows Client has no config option to enter an IP, so without the autoprovision email, it makes the client unusable.

Using version 12, 32127.322

Did you configure the SMTP server settings?

Yes. The SMTP server is hosted locally. I tried external IP, 127.0.0.1, and localhost as hostnames. Tried it with TLS enabled/disabled. Even manually added the ports (25, 465) in the advanced config options with no success. I would think that even if the SMTP server was misconfigured (it's not), it would not give that useless error. The error pops up way too quickly for it to have even tried connecting.

Look in the system logs (not 3CX), but the logs in the control panel, administrative tools, event viewer. This may shed more light. This is more likely associated to privilege errors somewhere, which is why it is so quick to respond as I suspect this is a MS error code simply being passed by 3CX rather than a 3CX code.

Try to telnet on port 25 and see if you can connect to the smtp server, that will tell you if there is a issue with it or with 3cx. a quick search on google will give you the smtp commands for testing.

I can telnet and ehlo without issue to all the various IPs (localhost:25, 127.0.0.1:465, externalip:25 etc). I checked the windows application event logs which did have a few informational messages about 3CX, but aboslutely nothing about the mail/SMTP component errors. But like I said the error pops instantly after clicking 'Send Welcome Email'. I would wager that the error message is related to the web gui itself, and not even attempting a connect. In fact (opens wire shark) ..

If I run a 'tcp.port == 25 or tcp.port == 465' filter in Wireshark and click 'Send Welcome Email' .. I see 0 packets go through. Again, this is with a vanilla install.

It's too bad there's no support for the demo users with this product. I'd love to purchase the concept of it, but I'll never get anyone to sign a cheque for a product that doesn't provide basic functionality.

try to search for "Unknown error (0x80005000)" and "0x80005000" in google.
It may help you to understand what is going wrong...

It returns pages of C#, .NET, and LDAP related issues. Do you have any suggestions on what they would have to do with 3CX? I'm not using LDAP, and I should probably leave the C# issues to the 3CX programming team.

I would check your syntax/spelling in both the server name and the reply address. I've seen it freak out when people have made typos (commas instead of periods in the server name, leading or trailing spaces, etc). You shouldn't need :25 at the end. It would only be if you want to use a non-standard port.

Last test would be to do something like gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com as the mail server and whatever you want for the reply address. No username/password, no SSL/TLS. If that gives the same error, then I would do a backup/uninstall/reboot/reinstall/restore, or just ignore the backup/restore part if this is a fresh install with no real settings. It would seem like something in 3CX is goofed.

One other thing could be AV. If you have an AV program that tries to scan mail traffic, it could be conflicting as well.

No typos. No port in hostname. No AV. Tried it with about 5 different SMTP servers, including the Google one. Uninstalled all files and services, started from scratch. Full reinstall, first thing I try is 'Send Welcome Email', exact same error. Am I really the only one who noticed this error? Should I downgrade to v11?

tztztz said:
No typos. No port in hostname. No AV. Tried it with about 5 different SMTP servers, including the Google one. Uninstalled all files and services, started from scratch. Full reinstall, first thing I try is 'Send Welcome Email', exact same error.
OS version?
OS service packs?
Clean installation of OS?
Standalone PC or virtual machine?
Hardware?
ISP?
Type of connection to ISP?
Abyss or IIS?
"Web" or "WinForms" PBX management console?
tztztz said:
Am I really the only one who noticed this error?
Answer depends on the nature of an error you are trying to fix...
First impression is that you are completely alone and the software environment on the host requires deep research :(
tztztz said:
It's too bad there's no support for the demo users with this product.
tztztz said:
Should I downgrade to v11?
You can change version of demo up and down but I doubt that v11 will work on your host...

Windows Server 2012 R2 (NT6.2)
No Service Packs
Standalone PC
16x Xeon E5640s CPUs, 64GB RAM
external IP firewalled with voip and management ports punched out
IIS with the web interface port 5000, also happens within the Winforms
my IP config is an internal IP @ 10.10.82.0/255.255.254.0 and an external IP on a multi-ip interface
netstat shows all the correct ports listening

running .net 4.0

SY said:
tztztz said:
No typos. No port in hostname. No AV. Tried it with about 5 different SMTP servers, including the Google one. Uninstalled all files and services, started from scratch. Full reinstall, first thing I try is 'Send Welcome Email', exact same error.
OS version?
OS service packs?
Clean installation of OS?
Standalone PC or virtual machine?
Hardware?
ISP?
Type of connection to ISP?
Abyss or IIS?
"Web" console or "WinForms" console?
ipconfig /all?
netstat -ano?
tztztz said:
Am I really the only one who noticed this error?
Answer depends on the nature of an error you are trying to fix...
First impression is that you are completely alone and the software environment on the host requires deep research :(
tztztz said:
It's too bad there's no support for the demo users with this product.
tztztz said:
Should I downgrade to v11?
You can change version of demo up and down but I doubt that v11 will work on your host...

I'm having the same problem , did you ever find a solution?

Edit: I didn't have the phone's sub domain as an allowed sender in my SMTP software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.