Separate groups of extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Peter McMinn, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter McMinn

I have a requirement to create share a 3cx pro between two groups of users (Group A on extensions 4xxx and Group B on extensions 5xxx). Each group will have their own SIP trunk which the other group will not be allowed to use.

The main issue is that these two groups must not be able to see or interact with each other, from their perspective they are the only users on the system.

I've tried to setup these two groups but I am still seeing extns from the other group for example in the contact list.

Is there a way to setup something like this? Any assistance gratefully received.

2. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

What you are trying to do is not possible, you can only hide extensions from the contact list and not restrict the view for each group.

3. mariosM_3CX

mariosM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Peter McMinn

This is not recommended as you cannot completely isolate the two groups. Issues may arise down the road that cannot be predicted.
    For example, if at some point you need to provide an extension the right to access reports, it will have access to both of the groups calls.
    Another example is that in the dialer of the 3CX client you will be able to see the extensions of the other groups as well.

With that in mind, if you still want to create this setup, take the following into consideration.
    • Hiding presence and calls
    Add 4xxx extensions in Group A and 5xxx extensions in Group B
    Deselect the option "Publish group information to all members" in both Groups >> Group Rights
    Remove all extensions from the Default Group​
    • In order to forbid calls between extensions of the 2 groups you will need to configure exceptions to each extension Forwarding rules for the range of the other group.
    • Configure your outbound rules so calls from each group will route to a different sip trunk
    • Be careful with how you route inbound calls

4. Peter McMinn

Thanks for your quick responses. You have confirmed what I thought might be the case.

I think I'm going to suggest that they put two 3cx systems in rather than trying to split one into two halves.

Thanks again for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.