Seperate Voicemail from Extensions

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Matt Healey, Nov 30, 2017.

Seperate Voicemail from Extensions 5 5 13votes
5/5, 13 votes

1. Matt Healey

Hi all,

I would like to see the ability to have voicemail boxes completely separated from extensions. By all means have the ability to auto create voicemail, even by default.

The idea behind it would be that multiple extensions could be assigned to a single voicemail box. This removes the need for a seperate Group voicemail as if you want multiple extensions to access a single box, then you just assign them.

It would also allow you to assign multiple VM boxes to a single extension. There would just need to be a facility to know which mailbox you are checking.

Thanks

Jeremy Bero likes this.
  2. Alldayrr

Same here! I'd also like to be able to check off if voicemail was returned and leave a note.

from another post.

What needs implemented is a proper shared voicemail system. A good example is one that can be assigned to extensions or extension groups and shown somehow in the webclient as a shared voicemail box that also would show the voicemail, indicate which voicemails have been dealt with and by whom and ability for one or several extensions to be able to delete past voicemails. If an extension belongs to several shared voicemails, they would see the different ones they're members of.

#2 Alldayrr, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. stever

4. Marty Sabel

There should be an option of sharing a line which would show the VM of that line on the ext it is shared to

5. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

Don't shoot me, I know this is not an answer to your specific idea.

However, for those who see this post, I want to make sure they understand there is a way to emulate a shared voicemail box. For example, if multiple people need access to a "company voicemail box" typically used when accepting after-business-hours voicemails, you can create a dummy extension that has voicemail enabled, and manually register this extension as a second account on your phones. The result is when you receive a voicemail on your account, or the secondary account, the MWI will light up. Further, on the phone when you press the voicemail button it will display both accounts separately and how many voicemails are in each voicemail box. You can then choose which voicemail box you wish to listen to. The beauty of this approach is that if one person listens to the company voicemail, it turns off the MWI on all the phones that have the secondary account registered, so you don't have multiple people chasing the same voicemail.

To your point, however, this doesn't scale, and doesn't show up in any special way in the soft clients (3CX Phone or Web Client). If you need more than one or two shared voicemail boxes, it's simply infeasible to create lots of additional accounts on multiple phones. It's a lot of work too, and depending on your phone, won't scale beyond a couple of accounts. Still, for environments where only one or two shared voicemail boxes are needed, this is a pretty elegant (albeit labor intensive) solution.

Another choice to be considered, given the current capabilities of 3CX, is to create multiple dummy extensions for each mailbox, and forward voicemails as attachments to email distribution groups, but now we are really getting away from what you are trying to achieve.

Finally, one last possibility would be to build your own user interface for shared voicemail boxes. It would still require the creation of at least one dummy extension. Remember, there has to be an extension you can call to access the shared voicemail boxes, right? I'm thinking a CFD application could be used to control access, record and retrieve messages, record greetings, etc. However, if we are trying to avoid making lots of dummy extensions, how do we direct a caller to leave a message for a specific shared voicemail box without an extension for each box? Maybe we could look at how the call got to the CFD app (for example from a specific IVR or Queue)?

Controlling access to the voicemails could be defined much the way we do with our 3CX Recording Manager, and 3CX Voicemail Manager add-ons. With our tools, you create a 3CX extension group, and assign extensions to the group. Perhaps members of the extension group could could access the voicemails, while managers of the extension group could also record greetings, etc. Still, we are talking about creating our own complete voicemail system, and that would be a considerable amount of work. The more I think about it, the more complicated this becomes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    craigreilly likes this.
  6. noverus1

I do like this. I know Asterisk treats voicemail as a different piece then an extension.