• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Server log

Status
Not open for further replies.

muaddib32

Reaction score
I have verbose logging enabled. However it only retains a few minutes of information. Is it possible to increase this or alternatively is there a log file that contains more information?

Verbose logging is really intended only for troubleshooting. Low or Medium should be used for everyday purposes.

If you feel you must have verbose logging, in V9 and above there is a tickbox to save logs to disk, but it will consume disk space on the drive where the %APPDATA% path resides. You will need to automate the process of offloading these files to avoid filling the disk and crashing the PBX.

That's fine, thanks David. Just doing some troubleshooting with dropped calls and I need more than the couple minutes of call history. I hadn't noticed that checkbox before.

if you are getting dropped calls, this normally is down to a firewall / router misconfiguration.

Can you confrim your router make etc and network layout?

The system has been running faultlessly for a couple of months. Just today users reported several dropped calls. The server is directly behind an Untangle firewall.

ok, can you run http://www.pingtest.net and let me know if you get any packet loss?

do you by any chance have two internet connections, 1 for voice and 1 for data?

You're right on both counts. Two internet connections. And high packet loss on both connections. About 40% on both

and let me guess you have a Dreytec router?

if so, we have had loads of this over the past few months, try spliting the Voice and Data networks on to their own routers. and then do a pingtest.net test for me

Actually, no Draytek router. Just using the Untangle box to manage the connections.

The data connection is also showing very low speeds on speedtest.net.

It has also just occurred to me that it is school holidays and the boss' son is back from boarding school...

ok, try powering the router off for 30 seconds, which will reset the connection, then power the router back on, and do speedtest and pingtest again.

also as the same router is doing both connections, you will need to ensure that both incoming and outgoing voice is going via the same connection, we have seen where the same router does both voice and data connections, that it receives on one connection and sends on another, which in it self’s can also caules calls to drop.

at least we have found out the root of your issues :)

Great. Thanks for your help. I will get in touch with Untangle and see if they can make any suggestions about the packet loss.

I have actually set Untangle to route all voice out one connection and everything else out the other so incoming and outgoing calls being on different connections shouldn't be the problem. I hope.

what you could do in the meantime to see if you have a router issue, is to try another router and only enable the one connection (Voice) and then see if you continue to get packit loss.

have you upgraded the routers firmware recently?

I just temporarily disabled the firewall within Untangle and then tested the packet loss again. 0%. So it's definitely Untangle! I'll reconfigure the firewall rules to ensure this doesn't continue. I'll check what has been changed recently.

Thanks for your help David.

pleased you managed to sort the issue out :)

now you will have a reliable 3CX Phone System

Just discovered that packet loss of 50% is expected when running pingtest from a client computer when Untangle is the router. It tries to stop any one client taking over the internet connection. So to get an accurate reading I need to run pingtest from the Untangle box. So this may not have been the cause of the dropouts at all.

I have found with Untangle that having the SIP Helper enabled is necessary. Do you have this turned on in the advanced network settings? Also do you have QOS turned on?

can you run this http://www.coms.com/voip_test.html

and let me know if this reports any issues.

Did you manage to do the above test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.