Server VLAN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jRambo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jRambo

Hi,

Our co will soon be installing 3CX and so I've been asked to make preparations - have a basic VLAN query.

All our PCs and servers are on the default VLAN. The phones will loop through the PCS so must be on a separate VLAN. I assume this is straight forward enough - set the VLAN ID on the phones and set the corresponding voice VLAN on the switch. Please correct me if I am wrong about these assumptions.

With regards to the 3CX server - should this be on the voice VLAN or should it be on the default VLAN with a routing relationship (via L3 switch) to the voice VLAN?

Thanks.

2. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

You should set the server for the voice VLAN, why subject the traffic between the phones and the server to routing?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jRambo

Hi Sigma, thanks for responding.

So to confirm

Server on voice vlan
    Phones on voice vlan
    Gateways on voice vlan
    Client PCs on default vlan with routing to voice vlan

Is this correct?

4. netswork

netswork Active Member

Yes thats correct. Just to clarify you dont "have" to set the phones in a vlan just because your are daisy chaining them to the PC. They can be in the same vlan/default vlan. But I would recommend if you have more then a dozen phones or so to put them in their own vlan.

it makes DHCP for the phones easier just in case you need option 66 in your PC vlan for something else. It keeps broadcast traffic off your phones. Keep in mind you will need to route the voice vlan to the internet because the 3cx server requires access to the internet to stay licensed....and the phones generally get their time directly from an online NTP source, not the phone server.

Also depending on what type of switches you have you don't have to manually set the vlan ID on the phone, the switch can detect voice traffic using the voice vlan and drop the phone in the voice vlan automatically.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jRambo

Many thanks for your help - the switch does indeed support auto voice vlan as you suggested so I just need to add the identifiers for our phones.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.