Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Service hanging around

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Pentangle, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Hi,

I started the client and had it running fine.
    I quit the client and then rebooted the server (separate machines).
    Upon the server restarting, I restarted the client but it wouldn't connect.
    Looking at the server console it appears the extension is already registered which leads me to believe that there's a service hanging around on the client PC which re-registered itself when the server restarted.

Can someone tell me what executables and/or dlls are supposed to be running or called by the client and hence potentially visible in the task manager so I can check whether this is another bug?

Cheers,
    Mike.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Actually, I think there's a deeper-seated bug in play here surrounding client registration....

Further to the previous post, I can now no longer get the 3CX VoIP Client to *properly* register itself against the 3CX server. I believe this is because the server is reporting the client is registered when the client's not actually running (since i've ensured the tickboxes for run at startup and auto register itself are unticked, and repaired the client using the installshield, and rebooted the client, but it still thinks my extension's registered at the server console page).

Help guys!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. coatline

Hi Pentangle,

I was having the same kind of problem a lot (specifically regarding calls being shown as still active even after they had been terminated, the only solution being to restart the 3CX Phone System service).

I applied the server patch which has largely (although not entirely) got rid of these problems. If you haven't tried it, it might worth a try (note that it's a patch to the server, not the client)

http: //www.3cx.com/forums/categories-1/3cx-product-and-company-announcements-and-hotfixes-2/patch-for-version-5-0-3648-3512/

Thanks.

4. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Hi Coatline,

Thanks for that, but even after both the client AND the server have been rebooted I get the line registering. I think something more fundamental is at fault in the client code.

Cheers,
    Mike.

5. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Actually, it is not a bug. It is result of intended behaviour. PBX keeps registration records in a persistant database, so after restart it restores previous registrations. We suppose it is valid behaviour.

6. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

So short of deleting and recreating the extension (which I had to do), how am I supposed to recover from this intended design?

7. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

If you are deleting / creating extension while PBX service is running - it will notice deletion and remove registration from database.

8. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

But is there any way of removing a registration apart from this - where we know or think a client is not registered?

9. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Exactly - I don't want to have to delete/recreate an extension to recover from this issue. My customers would cut off my family jewels!!

10. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Another way is to change extension's authentication ID / password and store settings :)

11. zensoftware

zensoftware New Member

Hi Archie,

We have previously requested an Extension reset option for these types of issues where you want to be able to reset the status of the client. In a similar way you can re-register Sip accounts against providers could you not reset the extension status.
    Sometimes we also get extensions stuck in the 'Calling' status and have to restart the server to fix it.

Cheers

Neil

12. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

I think we should come up with a kind of administrative interface or a tool which is able to display all calls / registrations and than drop some at administrator will. We have an experimental tool for it for internal use, so as you can see it is all possible. But still we need to make it neat before come out to public, and also we should think out all possible consequences regarding security etc.
    I will put it as a feature request right now :)

13. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Further info for you...

I have tried the installed client against a second, totally separate instance of 3CX, and it jams THAT instance's extension open as well, and never reports in the client that it's ever connected.

Is there any troubleshooting logs you can get from the client for this, or is my further insistence that there's something wrong enough?

Cheers,
    Mike.

14. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Michael, sorry, I'm not sure I understand you right. Are you talking about our VoIP client? If so, than we just should wait for comlete bugfixing, because it's in deep beta stage yet. If no, than please kick me again after New Year, because curently I'm way too busy to look at it. Or, may be it is good idea to send logs to our testers. They will remind me when I'll got less traffic in my mind :)

15. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Hi Archie,

Happy to hear it's in deep beta - i'd be concerned if it was close to ship....yes it is your client.

I eagerly await a new build to test - I seem to have a reputation for destructive testing of software, and i'm a stickler for perfection :)

I'd be happy to send logs to you or your testers, but since the issue is with the client rather than the servers, where do I find the client logs in order to give you something meaningful?

Merry xmas - i'm on holiday from tonight :)

Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.