Set user out-of-office when MyPhone is not running?**IDEAS.3

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dotnetfabrik, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotnetfabrik

Hi,
    it would be very nice if the user state could be automagically set to "Out of Office" when MyPhone is not logged on for the user.
    For example, the office-person is ill or on vancancy, it's office-hours say that he's present but in real, he isn't.
    Therefore, it's phone would ring to no avail.
    If his extension-state could be linked to his MyPhone login-state, he would only be "Available" when he's really logged in.
    That would really be a nice feature!

2. Welzo

Re: Set user out-of-office when MyPhone is not running?

It's a good idea, but I could imagine when users do not use MyPhone (all the time) it would be frustrating when the user is shown as "Out of Office" while he isn't!
    Would be better if, in our situation, we could connect the presence system of our office (we use CardAccess3000 and a user has to offer his pass to the in/out reader to get in or out of the office) to the 3CX Phone System. This way you know for sure the user is physically in or out of office.
    If only 3CX would allow us to change the profile status more easily we could create our own script to connect these two systems.

Anyways let's put our feature requests in the ideas factory (http://3cx.ideascale.com/) and maybe some day we will get what we want. ;)

3. dotnetfabrik

Did you already put it into the idea-factory?
    If yes, please post the link for voting. :)

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

But we have this already. You can have your profile changed even if MyPhone is not running.
    Extensions/Other tab.

You can enable what profile you are in based on global or specific office hours, and breaks.

This is independent from MyPhone. MyPhone gives you the ability to change these - some features might be restricted because they are assumed to be controlled by the admin. I might not be allowed to change my office hours for example.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dotnetfabrik

Re: Set user out-of-office when MyPhone is not running?**SOL

Nicky,
    the point isn't to make out-of-office when the user isn't using MyPhone at all!
    I wrote "when it's not RUNNING" - with a certain reason: I don't want me to be available just because of some office-time.
    I want to be available when I'm really in office - and one way is the described one (first post of this topic).
    Please remove the "solved" text from this thread, because it's not solved.

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

What do you mean when not running?

When What is not running?

The procedure is the following.

You can change your status using

Voicemail
    Dialcodes
    Automatic changes based on time you set - it will be done automatically at your specific office hours.
    Autopmatic changes based on global office hours - it will be done automatically at global office hours
    Manually using Myphone

How else do you want to change your profile - Isn't all this enough? Explain to me What should not be running and how else should be know that you are really at the office or not?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dotnetfabrik

Nicky, very simple: I'm in the office when MyPhone is running on my computer.
    When it's not running, my computer is switched off or I'm logged out - that means: I'm not there.
    We do not have fixed office times, so this is a good way to tell pbx that I'm ready for telephone or not (because I'm not in office).
    The big advantage to dialcodes is: it's automatic - and this makes it very easy.

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes open a feature on microsoft - tell them to send 3CX a network sip packet when you switch off the computer so that 3CX will understand this and change your profile. :D
    Aren't you being a bit unreasonable here?

I can be home. What do do there? this is a web page. I can be in a hotel, in a lobby whatever.

Perfect - than since you do not have fixed office hours, then you do not need any fixed rules. You need to set your profile dynamically just like we all do with MSN, Skype and everything else. The only advantage they have is that when they sign out, they put you "unavailable". But closing the web or logging off, controls the phone operation. Profiles of this sort cannot be based on whether you are logged into a browser or not. Imagine you disconnect for a second or the browser crashes for example and your phone will go to out of hours.

When you switch off your computer make sure you change your profile before.
    Or press a dial code.

9. dotnetfabrik

It's like my actual Auerswald Commander Basic 2 we're using actually and which I'd like to replace with a more progressive solution.

My experience is: users forget to log out from queues (we already have this in our current pbx) in the evening.
    In the next morning, phone begins to ring from 0700 instead of going to voicemail immediately.
    The user will be in office from 0900 - so we have full 2 hours of useless ringing phones - great!

Having it this way, it's no progression for us.

10. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

So if users forget to log out, then you have to force them with specific hours when they will be available.

I can give you a solution to fix this problem once and for all.
    Cut something from their pay for example every time they forget to log out. You will see how quickly they remember to log in and log out.

We cannot implement an unreliable solution to fix this.

You have global hours
    Specific office hours
    Custom break times
    4 different ways to change your profile varying from SIP, Phone, Voicemail, IVR, Web.

Another thing - If a user is there at 9 - why do you allow incoming calls before 9. What is the phone ringing in the first place at 7am in the morning.

So you have a jungle in the office - everyone coming in whenever they want, forgetting things and doing what they like?

11. dotnetfabrik

We have flexible working times.
    My wish is to make technology serve our employees - not the other way.
    I thank you for your comments, I have to find another way.

12. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I thank you for your comments too.
    Listen - we can do this - it is possible but it will be unreliable. Also it will not be immediate - it will have a delay of 10 minutes to take effect.

You can create an idea on ideas.3cx.com as follows

Profile switching based on whether I am logged in to MyPhone or not (like Skype and MSN) Log Out will put me to out of office hours.

Solution suggested is that when server detects that the session is no longer active or disconnected (client logs out browser or switches off machine) it sends message to configuration service and changes my profile to out of office for example.

We will check it and if people vote for it, we can optionally consider it.

13. tjericson

Re: Set user out-of-office when MyPhone is not running?**IDE

I agree that this is a needed feature. MyPhone can simply timeout when the computer is idle or you logout of MyPhone and have 3cx automatically change the profile settings.

To me it seems SOOOO obvious that this would be a feature.

14. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I don't think its obvious at all. There are times I shut down all extra things running on my computer but I still want to accept phone calls. If my computer has to reboot or crashes I still want to accept phone calls. If the power to my office goes down my phone system is on batteries so I still want to be able to accept phone calls. There are probably a dozen scenarios or more where I would not have MyPhone running but I still want to accept phone calls. Switching to away just because MyPhone is not open is not a good solution for many reasons. The vast majority of businesses leave their computers running 24/7 so you can not reliably count on the computer status of an indication that someone is there or not.

To implement this properly there would need to be a new tab in the call forwarding rules for "MyPhone Off" so you can use it's status to route calls.

15. windstar

Can't you just turn off office hours and have the user change their status upon leaving for the day or logging off, and then when they are back they can change their status to be online? Short and simple, yet effective.

16. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I think it is simple enough for the user to just click on the dropdown (top left corner) and change his status from there like normal people do on skype msn, and any other application?

Every interactive application has profiles - invisible, away etc etc. MyPhone has this too. Dropdown with statuses. Just click on the dropdown and change your status.

Maybe we should also implement MyPhone making a cup of coffee for the user too at this rate. Im surprised this has not come up as a feature request. :)

17. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I also dont agree that when the myphone is not on that i am away.
    better is just write a small API script which you run when you log in to ur pc and log out.
    Run the scripted via task planer of windows.

here is on of the http links you can run:

Code:
    http://"IPPBX":5000/managment/PbxAPI.aspx?func=make_call&from="EXT"&to="*3PRFILE"&pin="PIN OF EXT""

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.