Setting MDMF caller ID (Name + Number)

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by telin, Jan 15, 2016.

1. telin

Hi, guys!

I've found out that we can setup caller ID per extension, or per trunk, putting in phone number only.
    The the system picks up the name of extension and puts that into the name of the CallerID.

That is pretty awkward, because I do not want somebody to know the name of the caller, instead I want other things in there.
    Can we have an ability to set the name in the caller ID, where it is possible to use it?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you asking for the ability to put alpha characters into a the number (numeric) field, then I don't think that is going to work. You can, however put numeric into the name field as it is alpha-numeric.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

In the USA - Caller ID Name (CNAM) comes from a database lookup on the incoming leg of the call. I can not change this. I can only set my outbound number. And, not all carriers will even allow this.

I believe in Canada, Caller ID Name is sent from the originating PBX. So, if there is enough demand for it, perhaps it will get implemented.

I think for now, you could maybe set this in the Trunk outgoing parameters, but again, it would not work in the US - and applies to the entire trunk.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This is the same in Canada, I don't recall seeing any name information passed specifically from a PBX, but it may happen depending on the provider. I have seen a name, sent with a number (from the originating PSTN switch) over-ride a database look-up.

5. telin

Interesting.
    As I understand there are two fields for Caller ID, one for the number and one for the name.
    My two providers in Canada allow me to set my Caller ID name from my PBX.

3CX is able to send the name, using the trunk Outbound parameters (ether specifying the global custom variable, or choosing one of the 3CX variables), but it is such a pain and usually involves changing the 3CX variables (extension name, for example) to a different value.

There are multiple situations, when different extensions need different caller ID.
    It would be easier if you could set it globally by the trunk, or, if needed, set it by extension. Just nearby that field that says "Caller ID"

I am pretty sure, there are other countries than Canada and US, where less restrictions were set from provider and government. It might come in handy for other users.

6. telin

What provider do you use, if it is not a secret?

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

With VoIP, PeopleLine. PSTN lines with Telus.

8. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Indeed, it would be very nice to have the option of setting the "Outbound Caller-ID NAME" on a per extension basis like how we can set the "Outbound Caller-ID (number)" in the extension settings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. upcraft

I'm pulling this up because I am trying to hack together a nicer version of the outbound name.
    In Canada, YES the PBX can send the name to be displayed and it works. We do not need to register it with a CNAM database and hope it gets updated or that other providers use that database provider.

I'm using Flowroute or VOIP.ms.
    Flowroute seems to use about 4 different routes and only 1 of those routes is sending the name properly. I submitted a trouble ticket to see if they can fix that. The worst part is you get random results with Flowroute and have no control over what the caller will see. About 50/50 they see the name, the other times they either get no name or the callerid Numbers are copied to the name field. I believe it's the downstream providers that Flowroute is using to complete the call causing it. I have a PRI with Telus that I can put in debug mode to test exactly what the the PSTN network is delivering unfortunately I cannot derive the carrier used to deliver the call to Telus to figure out which ones work and which fail. Perhaps I should have tried Anveo direct where they let you be more directly involved in routing decisions.

Voip.MS is sending the name reliably for me right now so I'm testing with that primarily.

In the Trunk->Outbound Parameters the field
    "From : Display Name" is controlling my outbound name display setting.

The default is to set it to "CallerDispName" Display name of a caller as it is in From Header - Provided by phone settings
    This data comes from the phone making the call, though if it was provisioned by the PBX it likely started as data generated in the extension.
    I'm able to modify it in the phone after it's provisioned as long as I don't choose reprovision phone it stays the same until some other change makes the provisioning file update and cause the phone to replace it's setting off the server.

If I choose "CallerName" caller's name (default: From->display name) it gets the data from the extension Firstname Lastname fields

Now what I really want is to setup a company wide prefix that prepends to the extensions named user. So "ACME First Last" format.

I cannot find any documentation that describes the Outbound Parameters settings or if there are any ways to construct a macro or insert variables into them. I would like to use Custom Field to hard code company name and use a variable to insert the reset like: "ACME $DisplayName"
    example:
    [​IMG]

But I have no documentation to indicate if variables are possible in the Custom Fields, what they might be named and what special characters will trigger them.

Is this a thing? Is it possible?