Setting the Codec for a IP phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by marcusjclifford, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcusjclifford

I have a Cisco SPA504G, this phone supports a number of Codecs including G.711a, G7.11u and G7.22

From reading it seems that the G7.22 provides the best voice quality, sometimes referred to as HD Voice. I want to set the phone to use that as the 1st choice of Codec.

On the extension screen I can see the options for doing that, but when I change them and click on Apply and OK they are not saved. Revisiting the page shows them in their original order with G711u as #1 G711a at #2 and G722 as third.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something obvious...

Thanks in advance,
    Marcus

2. albertc

Did you enter all other parameters correctly? Like the MAC address and model of the phone in the provisioning section? What the phone provisioning page does is to create a xml file in the provisioning folder and when you boot up your phone with option 66 enabled, the phone will use that specific xml file to configure the phone to work with 3CX. As long as your phone is using the G722 as the preferred codec, it doesn't really matter what it say on the phone provisioning page.

You do however won't hear the different if your Cisco phone is the only phone that is g722 enable within your local phone network. To use g722, both party will have to have g722 enabled and your voip provider has to support it. Unless you just want to use it in your local phone network with 2 or more g722 phones. As soon as the call hit the PSTN, you will not get HD voice at all since PSTN use narrow band for voice.

3. marcusjclifford

As a follow up I have now found the issue and solved it.

I was using the Free version of the product and had the situation described above.
    Using the Demo key, or any paid licence key the settings were saved and the phone was provisioned as I wanted, so in summary it appears in the Free version you cannot set the CODEC priority for an extension.

It would have been nice to know this as I've spend about 5 hours trying to get this to work, including several reboots and re provisions of the phones causing downtime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.