Solved setting up 3CX to accept incoming call from a DID and route to internal numbers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ken nguyen, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken nguyen

hi, sorry, i am a complete beginner... please help

I have done this:
    1) purchased a DID,
    2) installed 3CX on a linux server (hosted on AWS), and i want incoming call to that DID to be routed to the 3CX server and eventually go to one of the extensions which goes to a 3CX client soft phone
    3) ran the firewall test successfully
    4) installed a 3cx client on my iPhone
    5) send welcome email for the operator extension (000) to myself
    6) configure the 3cx client on my iPhone, and now it's connected to the 3cx server, when i open the 3cx phone i see the status is On Hook

i have created a SIP trunk in the 3CX admin console with the main trunk number = <theDIDnumber>, and provided the user/pwd for registration with the company who sold me the DID, i can see that the sip trunk registered OK in the console

then, in the DID provider setting, i select the option to forward the call to SIP, and provide the following routing info: SIP/<theDIDnumber>@<my3cxFQDN>

Have i missed out anything?
    When i call the DID number nothing happened :-(

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are sending the incoming call to an extension (3CX client on your iPhone), then it really isn't considered "forwarding". You are simply routing the call to an extension, whether that be a VoIP set on a desk, or a 3CX application. This could be a trunk, or make use of DID rules for a specific DID number. Do you just have the one number? If that is the case it may not be a DID number, simply a single VoIP number

Have a look at the 3CX activity log, that will show you where the call is going. You may have to do some tweaking in the trunk settings.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/inbound-rules/

3. ken nguyen

But the problem is that the call to the DID never arrived at the PBX (3CX server) - i am not sure if i have configured correctly for the call to the DID to get to 3CX in the first place

The 'forwarding' was from the provider who sold me the DID to my PBX, in this case the 3CX server

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So the VoIP Provider you are using (the SIP trunk) is having your DID number ported to them, or "someone" is actually forwarding the DID number to another PSTN number (the actual number assigned to a trunk)? What happens when you call the DID number...busy, recording?
    You need to clarify.

5. cmdias

note that with some voip suppliers you need to create a sub_account for the DID and register your trunk with that sub_account instaed of the main one.

6. GiannosC_3CX

GiannosC_3CX Guest

Hi ken nguyen,

To verify if your Voip Provider sends the calls to your registration. Please ran on the 3CX server the wireshark and then do some calls to your DID. If your sip trunk is registered then you can see the sip messages to hit your server (as mentioned above you ran the firewall checker and passed successfully).

7. ken nguyen

Thanks all for your help - it turned out the configuration i did as detailed in the first post was correct. Because the DID number was an overseas number and my phone does not have international calling enabled, i tried to use Skype to call the number, and apparently the problem was with Skype, since later on i was able to get someone locally to call the DID and - MAGIC - my soft phone rang - everything was forwarded and routed correctly

8. GiannosC_3CX

GiannosC_3CX Guest

Hi ken,

Thank you for update the post :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.