Setting up fax service

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dcoxjr, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcoxjr

I'm testing 3CX to see what it can do for us. I do have a trial account that gives me access to the full version with complete functionality.

I have set up a PSTN device and configured an inbound rule to point to the fax extension. When a call comes in on the port set up for fax, the operator extension rings instead of the fax service answering. What am I missing?

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

What type of service are using to get phone connectivity to 3CX and what is the fax device? Are you using a PSTN device for phone connectivity or a VoIP provider? Do you have one number or two - one for your main voice line and the other a DID for the fax? Did you set a DID for the number ot popint to the fax extension?

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are using a PSTN gateway, I believe that it must be capable of supporting T.38, only a few do (at this point). What make/model are you using?
    If 3CX is not detecting a fax indication (T.38), it may just send the call to the operator extension as a default. How do you have the inbound set for the trunk?

4. dcoxjr

I'm using a Patton SN4114. We have a dedicated fax line which is currently the only line connected to the SN4114. I created a DID in 3CX and selected the port where the fax line is connected.

5. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The 4114 is a fxo gateway. This takes PSTN lines and converts to a digital stream for insertion into your network and the 3cx system. Are you saying that you have the PSTN trunk that you created for the Patton pointing to the 8xxxx extension for the 3cx fax service or is the Did directed to something else? If something else, please provide more detail. It is an extension with a fxs ata connected to a fax machine?

6. dcoxjr

The 4114 seems to be configured correctly as I can make and receive calls on the attached phone lines.

I've connected the fax line that comes into the building to the 4th port on the 4114. I then created an inbound rule entering the fax # in both the DID/DDI Name and DID/DDI number/mask fields and selected the 4th (10003) port. For the "Send fax to" option I chose email of extension 888 (the fax extension).

I have created a fax machine with the extension 888 in 3CX.

I'm not trying to send faxes and will not be connected a physical fax machine to 3CX.

7. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

3CX only accepts inbound faxes using the T38 protocol. If you try to send an analog call to the fax extension nothing will happen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dcoxjr

I'm attempting to receive a fax from a fax machine in a different location.

9. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Is the remote fax machine t38 compliant? If not - this WILL NOT work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. dcoxjr

I have confirmed receipt of a fax. When the call came through to the operator I transferred it to 888 and it went through. I just can't get 3CX to automatically sent it to 888.

11. craigreilly

I am not sure it will - I think you would need to setup a DID.

12. dcoxjr

I did create a DID.

13. craigreilly

sorry I missed that. Strange that the DID is going to the Operator instead of the Fax Extension.

14. dcoxjr

Not a problem.

I'm assuming that any call coming in on the selected port in the DID would be transfered, correct?

15. craigreilly

yep - certainly strange. I do not have any lines connected yet - still in prep phase - so I can not test it.

16. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Since there are no fax detection tones with T38 you have to setup a DID for it to work.

17. rbc94

i have this same setup with a patton 4114. you don't need a DID since it's an analogue line. all you need to do is click on the incoming line settings (your case 10003) and set it to redirect to the fax extension. DID's don't work for PSTN only for redirecting caller ID.

18. dcoxjr

That's it. It's now working. Thank you!!

19. rbc94

Your welcome! Glad I could help!

20. active5

If the DID call is going to the wrong extension, you need to check your inbound rules and the actual port when the call is coming in.

First check the "Ports/Trunk Status" screen on the 3CX Server Management Console, confirm which port is actually receiving the fax calls.
    Second, check "PSTN Devices", "Your Patton", "Port Number" and confirm the inbound settings for office hours and outside office hours.
    Third, confirm that there isn't in "Inbound Rules" a rule which contradicts your settings.

If your inbound settings are correct your DID inbound calls will go where you tell them to go, your reception extension is ringing because there is an inbound rule to the default extension "reception".
    Make sure your DID fax line is set to the 3cx fax server e.g. "888", "8888" etc.
    Also, could the demo license, even though your are using a full feature license key, have the faxing feature off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.