Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

setting up packet tagging

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by guyla50, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guyla50

Hi Guys,

I've just set up the PBX and am very impressed. When testing I've noticed the occasional slight issue with quality, which I imagine must be able to be fixed with packet tagging and QoS. How do I set this up on the PBX?? Is it possible to do it on the softphones, or is it all done on the PBX, switches and routers??

thanks

Guy

2. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello and welcome
    Do you mean pad voice in internal and external calls or only external calls?
    Try to use g729 or g726 on both ways
    Any way QoS depend on routers only

3. wzaatar

Hi,

Sorry to disagree Galal. QoS does not depend on routers alone. You need the following:

- Your end-devices (ATAs or IPPhones) need to properly tag the SIP/RTP for QoS precedence, this is something you should be able to easily do in the device configuration engine usually the HTTP interface (I've done it quite easily with Grandstream HT-386 and HT-503).

- Your IVR/CONF/etc... engines can provision for QoS. I've been sniffing and working a lot with the 3CX engine recently, and I have not seen any QoS provisioning done at 3CX's side. It is definitely a good idea as the product matures to include this feature (Especially when an extension is connected to an IVR for example or more critically on a conference call). Sidenote though: the 3cx engine should be able in the future to tag SIP packets as well as RTP packets in transcoding and proxy modes only, evidently bypass packets cannot be tagged as they don't go through the 3cx box.

- Your VoIP gateway, or PSTN gateway should also be able to do do it (I've also done it with Grandstream 4104/4108 and GXE-5024 devices).

- And finally (as Galal mentioned it), your underlying routers/switches should have QoS provisioning...

Hope this helps,

W.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello Wadih Zaatar,

do not wory
    this forum is user to user support
    so you have to correct any mistake in ansower you see or complete the uncomplete ansower

I said it depend on router because all devices I tested before has QoS

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

wiki describes option which controls PBX part of RTP conversation. (if PBX is engaged to handle RTP traffic)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. wzaatar

Hi,

No worries at all, I just don't want to sound obnoxious :-D. The community work is the best thing that can happen to a piece of software and I'm very happy to help and get helped.

Cheers,

W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.