Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Setting up problems - Zendesk Plugin Server-side or Client-side - Also Difference and Functionality

Discussion in 'CRM / Helpdesk / App Integration' started by RichardC, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardC

Hi,

We are currently working hard to integrate our new 3CX into our business. A very important part of this, is the integration with CRM Zendesk.
    Can you please tell me how I can integrate our CRM Zendesk when using SSO.

Both server and client-side integrations require username and password authentication. Except this form of authentication is disable for security reasons.

We make use of a SSO/SAML (www.okta.com), due to law enforcement.
    I think this form of authentication is currently not possible in the client/serverside CRM integration in 3CX.

I am getting the following error:

upload_2018-3-1_16-13-58.png

Zendesk Support is telling this with resolution:
    https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...d-grant-error-when-requesting-an-OAuth-Token-

2. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @RichardC,

Both the client side and server side integrations with Zendesk require username and password login. Unfortunately any other method is not supported.

Kind regards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RichardC

OKAY, API key username/password is allowed in our Zendesk account, and now:

The server-side version is working properly. But not the client.
    In server-side config I needed in this case to place /token after username
    And as password i needen to enter the api-key.

Yeah! 3CX is now looking up contacts during inbound and outbound calls. And also adding them to the 3CX contact-list.
    And via the Webclient I can open the contact in Zendesk, by pressing the CRM button.

However, this does not work inside the 3CX Client in Windows, probably because i have not yet activated the Zendesk 3CX client plugin.

The client side is not working:
    Why is this different then in server-side?
    Also here I tried to add /token and the apikey as password, but still receiving "invalid_grant"
    I also (ofcourse) entered the required client_secret (which is 100% correct).

Server-side settings:

upload_2018-3-2_12-14-26.png

For your information, my OAuth secret settings:

The secret in this example = the secret i am using.

Do we maybe need to add a redirect url in the oauth settings in Zendesk?
    upload_2018-3-2_12-31-18.png

#3 RichardC, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @RichardC,

Server side and client side are 2 different integration. Do you really need both? Let me explain the differences:
    1) Server side: when you receive an inbound call, the caller number will be looked up in Zendesk, and if found the contact will be added to 3CX Contacts. Then, the caller name will be shown when you receive the call, no matter the phone you use (deskphone, 3CXPhone, 3CX Web Client). Also, if you use the 3CX Web Client, you will see the button to open the contact record in Zendesk.

The server side integration only needs to be configured once in the server, as you already did.

2) Client side: this only works with 3CXPhone for Windows, and you need to configure it for every client. When you receive an inbound call, 3CXPhone will automatically popup the contact record (you don't need to press a button like in the server side), and when the call ends (if journaling is enabled) it will add a new ticket or update the last ticket from this contact. If the contact is not found, it will automatically create one for you and pop it up, so you can fill the details.

If the functionality you have with the server side integration is enough for you, then it is not recommended that you configure the client side integration. If you need the contact pop up, please note that you can use the 3CX Web Client with the 3CXPhone for Windows client, so you can still get the popup if you're using 3CXPhone for Windows, you just need to also use the Web Client...

If you still want to configure the client side and you're having problems, please start by checking the logs from "%AppData%\3CXPhone for Windows\Logs".

Kind regards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RichardC likes this.
  5. RichardC

Great informational answer, thank you for that. Much appreciated. This is actually an answer I can work with. Based on your explanation, maybe and probably we don't need the client version.

The difference between the two where not clear to me, now it does, but there is one thing i don't yet understand:

Is it not possible to build a CRM button inside the 3cx window client, when we only have activated the Server-side integration? Provisioning it to the client itself. It would be a very nice addition (if technically possible). (so skip the client integration setup, "just" receive it from the server side)

And let me explain what we simply were expecting from the Zendesk CRM integration:
    A basic softphone plugin inside Zendesk: Popup within Zendesk when call arrives. In which we could answer, hangup, transfer and hold the call. And ofcourse: looking up the customer and linking a callerid to existing customer.

Are there any plans at 3CX to build a Zendesk app on the Zendesk Framework like that ? I think that would be a very, very handy addition. It would make life a lot easier.

And my users have less applications they need to use. (referring to your explanation to use 3CX Webclient and Windows Client simultaneous only for the CRM button)

If i am in any way unclear, please let me know.

6. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment, but definitively technically possible. I will suggest this internally, maybe it can be implemented at some point...

Not at the moment, but please create a feature request in the 3CX Ideas forum, and if it gets enough votes from users, it will be considered for future development.

Kind regards.

7. RichardC

stefanprasch likes this.
  8. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes, clear enough, thanks.

The Call Control API might help. Using it you can monitor active calls in the system, so you can receive notifications when calls are connected to some extension, and then you can send those notifications somehow to a web app running in your Zendesk server. You also would have to build that web app, I have no idea how you will do it as I don't know what Zendesk offers to do that... But probably possible...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.