Setting Up with Dynamic DNS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petewatterschats, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

If you are using a Public Dynamic DNS IP Address when it changes wahat needs to be done.

If you have a Dynamic DNS Service such as No-IP and now your host name for your public IP address is phone.ddns.net and you are using version 14 of 2CX how do you set up the 3CX system

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I do not use no-ip with 3cx - but do use it with Grand.stream UCM.
    I point everything to my domain name of xxyyzz.noip.me.
    Then on my always running computer I run their software which pings their server on a regular interval for a changing Public IP Address.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In most cases, this is done with a DDNS setting (option) in your router, or, as suggested by Craig, a programme running on a PC on the network, both checking the public IP and updating the DDNS service if it changes.

Everything I've come across regarding 3CX version 14, suggests (assumes) that you use a Static public IP, which, for some , is not practical. I haven't checked to see if the install sequence, in a recent (updated) download of 14, allows you to skip over putting in a static IP as was the case with previous releases.

4. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

The registering of the DNS name for a Dynnamic service I understand

Its what I need to do when the address gets changed the DNS will point to the proper router address but inside the 3CX data there could be some issues.

I download the current 3CX Server, removed the old after backing up and reinstalled the download version

During the install it does allow you to leave it blank or let you put in a FQDN it will only allow you to enter a raw IP Address

So my question is do I need to backup, remove the 3CX Server, Reinstall, restore backup each time the Public IP Address changes.

By happenstance and a mistake I had this experience
    I have two Internet Connections with 2 routers

I originally installed 3CX point to Router1’s public IP Address.

Then when I was learning and testing I changed it so it would go to Router2 and under network-settings I put in the Public address of router2 and its local interface.

The default gateway on the PC Hosting 3CX was changed to point to Router2

Setup a FlowRoute Trunk and tested outgoing call worked but had problem with incoming calls

They would ring, could be picked up you could her the incoming caller but the incoming caller could not hear me.

FlowRoute did a test for me and found that
    Their response

“So I believe the 3CX system is at 76.170.137.3. The issue is that when we send calls to your IP address 76.170.137.3 that you 3CX system responds to our SIP Invite with a 200 OK. The issue is that when your system sends the 200 OK to answer the call you are telling us to send the audio to the IP 107.199.133.105. Typically I see customers sending audio back to the IP where there system is hosted.
    I believe you have the address 107.199.133.105 listed somewhere in that 3CX configuration. Please look at your set up to see if you can identify this address in any other settings you have. Let me know if you can identify any thing that way.”

107.199.133.105 was the original Public IP Address

So it does not seem that changing the Public IP address in the Settings - Network gets the whole job done

I hope there is a way around this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.