Setup Help - VPN or RasberryPI

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by AH2, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AH2

AH2 New Member

Hi,

I have a huge problem trying to setup our current setup from local to the cloud, so I'll describe bellow what we have, what our Trunk provider gives us, and what we need.

1. We have a SIP Trunk installed locally at our office with a 2MB Dedicated fiber optics internet line, just for that trunk. We have a modem installed where we connect our Asterisk server to. and that's it. works.

2. We would like to take it to the cloud, using 3cx cloud at Google Cloud or AWS, I would prefer AWS, but the express installer doesn't seem to be working, or I haven't been able to get one instance installed on AWS.

How can I achive this ? I was thinking installing a VPN server on the 3cx debian cloud, the connecting a client using an RasberryPI locally at the office to send that trunk over the cloud. Would that RasberryPi hold ? SIP trunk 15 channels.

Any better way to do this ?
    Thanks in advanced.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

When you mention the Raspberry Pi SBC and trunks, it has me thinking that you may not be aware that the SBC is only for extensions. The Pi should handle about 20 extensions. If you have trunks terminating at one office and you wish to "connect" them them to a 3CX installation in the cloud, you may have to consider using VPN.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-sbc-raspberry-pi/

You may have to provide a bit more detail about what you are trying to achieve, I may be misunderstanding.

AH2 likes this.
  3. AH2

AH2 New Member

Thanks leejor, SBC might not be the solution, maybe I should try to explain my self a bit better.

The Trunk it's provided with a physical external router, and we have 5 IP's one configured to the Asterisk Box as static and connected via eth to authenticate the trunk ( as well as the internet )
    The only way to authenticate to this trunk it's via IP, one of the 5 ip's provided by the Trunk and Internet Provider.

So the question it's how can I authenticate that trunk on the cloud ? I was thinking of using VPN, but I'm not sure how to implement it.

Thanks again.

4. AH2

AH2 New Member

Bump, help appreciated.
    ** Forums seem to be busier than normal after the latest update :S

5. AH2

AH2 New Member

Yes, the Fiber it's provided by the VoIP provided as well.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would discuss this with the VoIP trunk provider. They may have a solution for PBXs that are hosted in the cloud. You probably won't be the first one to ask.

If your ISP and VoIP provider are one in the same, and it sounds like they are, there may be a problem. ISPs that also provide VoIP service usually like to have complete control of the "circuit" between them, and your device.

7. AH2

AH2 New Member

Yes they are the same provider, even though we could change that, we could request an internet from another provider with the same specs. And No, they don't provide a solution for Cloud yet, because of the law here in CO.

So using a VPN it's the best solution, but not sure how to get there yet :)

Thanks

8. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I would recommend changing VOIP providers to one that can provide services directly to your cloud installation to avoid issues. You can still connect your office via VPN to the cloud so that you can provision your endpoints as local.

AH2 likes this.
  9. AH2

AH2 New Member

Regulations in CO don't allow it yet, I hope they do soon, in the mid time I would like to find some sort of documentation on setting that up for our Cloud Server.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.