Setup Questions - Voice Modem - Unsupported SIP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mbazdell, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbazdell

Hi all. I have searched the forums quite extensively and have not been able to find a definitive answer for this. Can I use a voice modem that is connected to my 3CX server for inbound and outbound calls? Here is my setup as it stands nows...

SIP Provider -> Linksys SPA2102 -> Analog Phones

I'm really using 3CX as a convenience for my cell phone. Use the wifi and have my cell phone act as cordless phone. I'm just starting here but plan to do more with it later. The problem is that my system that is running 3CX is a production system and is rebooted, powered down, changes OS... Things like that prevent it being online 24/7, thus I wont be able to receive calls. The other problem is that my VoIP provider binds my account to a specific MAC address, so I can just go swapping between the Linksys SPA2102 and 3CX whenever I feel.

So with that said, obviously the best setup for me is to keep the Linksys handling the incoming and outgoing calls, but I would like very much to be able to connect 3CX to this system... I can't really come up with any way do this however. Oh and on a side note, my VoIP provider isn't listed in the list of valid providers or even tested ones. I'm sure I could modify a provision.xml from the 3CX site though to make it work so I'm not too worried about that if I really change my mind to make that work.

Any suggestions?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In a word, no.

If you are restricted to using the 2102 provided by your VoIP provider because of MAC settings or other ways they have of identifying the device, then the only way to get calls into 3Cx is to use a gateway (like the FXO port of an SPA3102) plugged into the 2102. Unless you have a device that can fool your provider, which is unlikely, you are out of luck. that's why they do it that way, so you don't/can't use your own devices.

I'm assuming here that your cell phone has a built in SIP application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.