shared extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by t4mack, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t4mack

Anyone know how to configure an extension to be shared. What I want is have two phones with the same extension. when i pick up the phone i want to be able to listen in on the other phone. I need this to work for analog phones that we are going to be using when the power is out. These phones all will have one extension configured so when we put someone on hold the call can be picked up from another phone.

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

For analog phones you need an ATA so how will the ATA work when the power is out?

If you do get the ATA working (and presumably the 3cx) then the PAP2T does shared extensions. In the configuration you can tell it if is it a shared extn (has a drop down for yes or no) for each line you configure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. t4mack

I currently use a the Grandstream GXW-4008. I works with the power out. i just need to find where i can configure the shared line.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Why don't you just connect two phones to the same ATA?

5. t4mack

They are, it just doesn't seem to be working just by plugging it up and configuring it to that extension.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What is it that's not working?

Generally, and there may be some ATA's with options that make an exception, when you put the same extension/phone number on to two ATA's they will both receive calls to the number but one won't be able to pick up and listen in when the other is on the phone. The second person will just get dialtone. it sound like you want a single ATA going into a key system, or into phones that have a physical "hold' button on the set, the type that puts resistance across the line until an extension picks up the call.

7. t4mack

Correct. I thought that there was a setting in 3cx to allow a shared extension to function that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.