• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Shared extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngtech

Reaction score
Ok, I have 3 Cisco 504G phones at a front desk that all ring simultaneously on incoming calls. No problem. However, what they want is no matter what phone they pick up the call from, they want to be able to put the call on hold and pick it up from any of the other two phones just by pushing a button.

I'm thinking a sidecar and using bxfer to parking orbits is best option, but they want to know if there is a way without the side cars. I played around with SLA and configured each phone to have all three extensions on it and set to Shared instead of private. Then when incoming calls came in they could see someone was on ext 101 on all 3 phones. When 101 placed call on hold, it could then be picked up on either extension 102 or 103 phone with push of a button. I thought, great it worked.

Not so fast. After a little while the extensions started showing blinking red but there were no calls. When you hit the button it said "SharedLine Process".

Is there something I missed? Maybe I should scrap the idea and just get the Cisco 500S and setup BLF for Parking orbits for all 3 phones?

Thoughts?

SLA is the best choice for your scenario, and it should work. If it doesn't - make a Wireshark capture and we will investigate. In our test lab SLA works like a charm. The only difference is that we tested it with mix of phones (mostly with Snom). Personally, I tested it on Snom - Cisco 508G pair.

Archie,

Am i misconfiguring something? I see in the server logs at times it says "No free SLA appearance"

I tried looking for a setup for SLA on here but didnt find anything.

I set the following Global Parameters:

SLA_ENABLE to 1
SLA_ONSUBSCRIBE to 1

On the phones i set extensions to Shared under each EXT tab and under Phone I set the line to Shared. Am I missing a step somewhere?

Cisc 504G phones are running firmware 7.4.6

Just found in another post you can set the SLA_ONSUBSCRIBE to the number of desired SLA slots. Though in the description it tells you only 0 or 1....

So I am going to set it high, to like 15 and reset and try again.

That SLA_ONSUBSCRIBE variable really needs to be corrected in 3CX to show that you can use a higher number, not just 0 or 1 as the pop-up suggests. I brought that up a while ago when I was having issues with SLA.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/failed-to-aquire-sla-slot-error-16333.html

I have a simlar setup with the same phones. I'm new to 3CX and VoIP setup. I couldn't find enough detailed information (for a complete novice) on setting up SLA so I did what you did and also had the same problem. However, in my case I set up the extra extensions on each phone directly and not through a 3CX template. The phone was set up to check on previsioning periodically and when it did it would reset the phone to the template that I had originally assigned to the Cisco phones. So when the phones checked the provisioning template it would break the setup. I changed the phone so that once the initial provisioning was done it would no longer check again. What clued me in was the phones would work for a while but after a set period of time they would break. Now the configuration works fine. It would still be nice to have a step by step description on setting up SLAs for newbies. I did buy on book on 3CX but find it doesn't go into much more detail then the docs.

Can anybody elaborate on the use of shared extensions (SLAs)? I am currently using v10 beta 2, and am trying to figure out how to best set up a SLA. I am using Polycom IP335 phones, which have 2 line keys and no BLFs. I tried creating an extension in 3CX, called "Reception," and manually configuring the IP335's second line key to connect to that extension (I also set the type to "Shared" in the Polycom config GUI). However, when trying to make a call using that Line key, it just gives a busy signal, despite the fact that the IP335 indicates that it's registered on that line. I just discovered tonight the advanced settings of "SLA_enabled" and "SLA_onsubscribe", which seem to offer some functionality which is not offered through standard tick-boxes in the 3CX interface. However, I cannot seem to find any documentation, and only limited forum information, on the subject of setting up an SLA.

Can anybody describe the proper configuration for a shared line in this circumstance? I basically want one shared extension (which will be assigned to a few phones throughout the office) that will function as a single "key" line, and allow all those who are subscribed to that line to access the voicemail for that extension.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damiano giannini
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.