ShoreTel to 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by CBIE, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBIE

Hello Everyone!

We are looking to migrate our company over to 3CX. We have ShoreTel currently for the majority of our organization, and Mitel for our Call Center that was implemented less then a year ago. We want to run a 3CX test enviroment in parallel with our ShoreTel System.

The reason we have to do it this way, is that we have over 1200 phones company wide, so we are going to need to do this gradually/in step by step process, so we need to be able to have ShoreTel and 3CX work together as much as possible, or at least to transfer phone calls w/caller ID information.

Has anyone had success getting ShoreTel and 3CX to work together? I know 3CX has Mitel Compatibility, which is great.

2. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

Hi CBIE,

The 3CX system only really supports a similar PMS protocol as Mitel for Hotel integration and legacy support for Aastra phones, that's about it: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

You have not mentioned if this is a SIP based system or an old legacy system (ISDN etc) as the integration would be different.

If SIP then there is a possibility of bridging/trunking between the two (which I have done with Avaya before) but if a legacy system you could migrate by using a high precision clock variant of Patton Gateway: https://www.patton.com/voipnews/v1n1/high-precision-smartnodes.asp

3. CBIE

Our ShoreTel system is currently an ISDN system, and looking to move from all the copper lines to become completely SIP based system with 3CX in the near future(hopefully by end of year). For our 3CX test enviroment, we have paired it together with a Comcast SIP Trunk.

4. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

If it is ISDN and has no SIP capabilities then a bridge is out of the question. You are going to need to use a Gateway converter (like the Patton I recommended in my last post).

One of these units would be good in this scenario, if you are removing the legacy lines completely then the high precision clock units would be used to provide the clocking that would normally have been provided by the ISDN lines themselves.

5. CBIE

Maybe I need to clarify myself, right now we are just trying to create communication between the ShoreTel and the 3CX, and I also Mitel system also, so three systems in total, all on the same network.

Would it be possible for us to create a generic sip trunk between ShoreTel and 3CX?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

7. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

Exactly as Leejor says-if it supports SIP, but you said your current system is legacy/ISDN?

8. CBIE

That's my fault, I got confused, I should have explained better.

We have ShoreTel switches at each of our locations, we have POTS lines coming in from local telco, which at the end we terminate to a 66 block, which we connect a amphenol cable to into a ShoreTel switch. If we can get the ShoreTel to communicate with 3CX, and our testing goes well, we will eventually just port all the numbers to our Comcast SIP Trunk. All the switches are managed by ShoreTel Director.

Our main goal with my questioning was how to setup communications between ShoreTel system and 3CX. And Yes, Shoretel does support SIP.

9. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

Now as I said previously I have never tried it with a Shortel, only Avaya however I cannot imagine the method would be much different.

On the 3CX Side you would need to set up a bridge and unless the Shortel supports bridging (which I doubt it does) on the Shortel setup a SIP Trunk:/Line https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/connecting-pbx-bridges/

Ideally however you should be using a VPN for the connection for security purposes.

10. DL_

DL_

There is no direct Mitel support on 3cx and Mitel uses a proprietary voip protocol, however it is possible to use SIP trunks on Mitel and route between them. You can also use gateway ISDN boxes to simply move over from ISDN to SIP on 3CX but setting up test numbers that will go over SIP while others go over ISDN.

Make sure you do careful testing of the 3cx contact centre part though to make sure it meets your needs properly (and your call centre manager signs off on it). There are a lot of weakness in 3cx that Mitel has (and a lot of strengths to).

Off the top of my head:
    PRO: 3cx set up and configuration is really easy - setting up queues, inbound routing, setting up extensions etc is simple
    PRO: 3cx licencing is great - no per user/per device/per ACD etc licencing on top of the proprietary phones. Just max lines in use and buy whatever device you want (as long as it's supported) or use the softphone for free.
    CON: it is difficult to see historically how many lines you have used to see if you came close to the maximum, only the current lines in use are available
    PRO: The CFD is very powerful for creating inbound (or outbound) scripting. Takes a little bit of getting used to - such as remembering to always quote strings - and compile time errors are confusing but you can do a lot with it, readin customer details from a database, changing prompts based upon date and time, dynamic routing, recording messages etc
    CON: any CFD application you create will take down all your queues and lose all callers so they can only be uploaded out of hours. As it is only available on the PRO licence you will probably need to buy a test 4 licence pro version to test your CFD apps (as they often need to be tested and refined a lot). You can easily switch between live and test system on your softphone though for testing.
    CON: The reporting is quite weak compared to Mitel and other third party solutions. The queue have no stats about agents logged in, etc. There are a number of options but often you can't get reports the way you might have been used to. You also can't create ad hoc reports and change them you have to recreate them or schedule them for a couple of minutes from now to test.
    CON: Wrap up is really poor. You have to specify a standard amount of wrap for every agent and it only works per queue so if you have multiple queues with calls the wrap up will be ignored. If your agents do not all do the same wrap up task (some taking seconds, some minutes, some various)then there is no easy way to stop taking calls without logging right out of the queues (which then messes up you logged in stats). Mitel has a 'make busy' feature to pause you in the queue but still stake internal calls. What is really required is a wrap up button per agent (with wrap up codes) as well as a global wrap up across all queues.
    PRO: the callback features, position in queue etc are simple to set up and work well.
    CON: The 3cx system is single channel - Mitel can do multi channel - chats, e-mail, social etc and the agent can
    CON: The 3cx Q-manager console is not very good. It is difficult to get a good visibility of exactly what your agents are doing especially with multiple queues. It should have a queue view showing the individual callers status in each queue in order, including call backs and an agent view showing the detailed status of each agent at the moment.
    CON: The wallboard is fixed, you can't customise it at all - other than the message.
    PRO: voice recording built in for free
    CON: Voice recording cannot be set to force recording or force not recording - the agent can control it. Difficult if you have policies around that in your call centre.

11. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

Agreed, Mitel uses MiNet as its proprietary protocol, but also can use SIP as well - so make sure you set up a standard SIP connection.

As for the contact center part - if there are any features or functionality that you will miss from migrating over to 3CX you could look at a development partner like VoIP Tools, they provide call center bolt-on packages and customization for 3CX Phone System: https://www.voiptools.com/

12. CBIE

We are not moving away from the Mitel Contact Center, we are keeping that for our Call Center, our main concern is being able to transfer phone calls between the three different systems, so we can do a systematic deployment

#12 CBIE, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.