Should Dialing 9 be used anymore?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fioreit, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fioreit

So i'm going through the setup of 3cx, and historically on every PBX system, you always have to dial 9 to get an outside line. I'm wondering as I'm setting this up, is that really necessary any more?

If your internal extensions are only 3 or 4 digits, and since the SIP Handsets don't send the call until either the Handset is picked up or the speaker enabled or the send button is pressed. They why not finally get rid of the Dial 9 requirement?

My 3cx system is going into a small office with about 16 users. So by no means a large scale deployment.

Thoughts?

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

No real reason whatsoever unless you have multiple outbound routings and need to be able to direct to one or another. If only one route, then it seems superfluous as I assume that not only will you manually add, but then have 3Cx strip....so, what's the point? If a need ever does arise, you can always change later.

3. Chalky

When I originally setup my 3CX to play with at home, I automatically put in the 9 to dial out because it appeared to be the norm (both my work traditional PBXs require 9 for outside). But after thinking, I realised that you don't need it at all and I promptly changed all of my outgoing rules not to require the leading 9.

I've not had any problems with this setup and it actually makes life much easier when, for example, copy and pasting phone numbers. I also use the Acrobits Softphone for my iPhone (I find the 3CX Softphone for iPhone to not work at all) and it means I can use my iPhone contacts with no problems at all.

It also of course, being a home test, means that my family can use the system without getting overly confused which, believe me, isn't very hard!

4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

It all depends on the needs of the users. Are there going to be any special outbound dial plans or any reason in particular to use 9 for an outside line? If not the only reason what is the purpose of dialing 9 first?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it is a simple installation, one outgoing route, perhaps two, no need to manually force calls to another route, no need to do any restriction on outbound calls by areacode or prefix, then a set-up without an access digit should not present a problem.

Many people will continue to use an access digit because... "that is the way the old system operated and people are used to that, so why change if we don't have to". And really, if that is what the customer wants, then why not.

What using an access digit gives you, is flexibility in your dialling plans, perhaps not right now, but it makes it much easier to add "features" or routes in the future. It is much easier for employees to have to dial an access digit right from the start, than to have to change it a year or two down the road because their "requirements" changed.

If you added a second office using bridged trunks, they you are free to choose a prefix digit (that doesn't conflict with extension numbering), that can be used as an access digit without having to worry about conflicts with local outbound numbers.

You can create "speed call" numbers by using an unused digit as a prefix. http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/speed-dials-using-3cx-outbound-rules/

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

This usually is based on user preference. If a company has been using 9 first for years, it is easier just to stick with that norm so that users don't have to relearn anything. While you would think it would be simple to just not dial 9, I have actually had to put it in after an install because of complaints. So usually, I do both so that they can do either.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.