Should I (or can I) go 3CX in all offices

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by purvis, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purvis

OK, here's my situation...

I'm a network admin with minimal phone system experience and similar knowledge of most traditional legacy telco technologies. My company has 4 offices, all in the state of Florida. The main office has about 50 extensions and phones (not a call center, just an office) and 12 analog lines coming into a 10-yeal old Nortel system. It's revently crashed twice on us, and we've become very suspect of its reliability. As a result we've begun looking into a new phone system.

I've also looked into some options regarding service as part of a long term strategy to save money and keep up with the advances/changes in technologies.

The three smaller offices have approximately 25, 10 and 8 employees, and 8, 4, and 4 analog lines coming in to legacy phone systems.

Being a Windows/Network guy, i'm excited about the possibility of running all Windows based phone systems. I've always felt kind of hamstrung by our old phone system and never was excited about doing any kind of maintenance on it, or even adds/changes. I'd like to go 3CX in every office eventually (starting with our main office) and also go to VOIP service only in the smaller offices.

Because we have well established long time phone numbers in our offices we're not going to drop our existing phone numbers altogether. Each office will have voice service of some kind coming in to the building.

Is it even worth considering VOIP for our "main" office? We have a 10Mb fiber link that we're using for web and interoffice VPN, so I'm guessing that we don't want to put potentially a dozen voice circuits on that.

We do have a quote from our local cable company for voice and data (10Mb data plus 12 voice channels that would go through an IAD to PRI). The voice service would include 4 concurrent "free Long Distance" lines, and also a separate channel for fax. The monthly charge for both of these services is about $1000/month less than what we currently pay for data and local voice (LD not included)
    I'm thinking we're better off going with this solution, since there is an SLA on the voice service and it's cheap, relatively speaking.

In the smaller offices I'd like to build 3CX bridges so that we have 3 or 4 digit dialing over VPN to each office, which would cut down on LD and Toll-Free calls, and also make adds/changes easier for us.

I'm thinking in the smaller offices, where at most there's 2-3 lines in use, VOIP would be suffieicnt over the existing broadband internet connection. Then in the second largest office we could put an 8-port FXS gateway in, or maybe even VOIP there, not really sure. At that office we could put similar service in as we have in the main office, although it would be over coax, not fiber.

As far as Fax machines go, as long as I use a gateway that supports t.38, can I just use like a Linksys SPA type device? I'd hate to keep just one analog line and bypass the 3CX system altogether for faxing, especially with the rumors about bidirectional faxing in the next 3CX release.

Any ideas, thoughts, experiences, questions, clarifications???

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What you are planning is exactly what 3CX is made for. What I would suggest is to contact a 3CX partner in your area, sit down with them and go over what you want/expect out of the system and how much you want to spend over all. It sound like you could cut over one office (I would do the smallest first), make sure that any bugs/issues/features/types of sets, have been worked out and then move on to converting the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.