Simonics Google Voice Gateway - no worky no more

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ian.watts, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Apparently it ran longer than originally thought.
    Just noticed two of my BLFs on my SPA504 were orange.. the GV lines.
    "no response" was what I got.

I found their website.. saw that it was coming to an end on this post: http://simonics.com/2013/11/google-voice-update/
    Apparently than ran further.. but alas it is done.

Boo, Google... boo.
    Yeah yeah.. something for nothing.. but whatev.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly how you are using GV as I was under the impression that hardware access was extremely limited. I know that devices such as the Obi were working, and that there was much discussion about that service coming to an end.

Looking at their web page http://www.obihai.com/googlevoice that concern would seem to be unfounded.

Something in the way that GV operated/operates now, may have changed. As I've only accessed the service it using a PC and/or an Obi 110, i have no idea what has happened with your device. I would think that a forum dedicated to the specific hardware might be a good place to start as I'm sure that you can't be the only one having issues if they have indeed cut the service.

3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Your experience sounds similar.. Google is pulling things back.. Microsoft-style..

Simonics offered a GV <=> SIP gateway as donationware.. and I think their post did mention the Obi stuff.. which from what you're saying may be on the whack list as well.

Oh well. Was a good ride while it was there for test/demo.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Originally, it was announced that the Obi was slated to stop working as a GV gateway, and some date was given, but, I just left mine connected and it never did stop. Now Obi is promoting the use of GV on it's devices again. I also remember another site that was selling a software "fix" for MagicJack devices that were no longer being used with MJ. it stated that the GV changes coming (this was a while ago) would not affect their MJ device "modification".

I cannot confirm this as I never did try it.

I did not investigated exactly what GV was changing , and how that could affect some hardware yet not others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.