• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Simultaneous calls for SIP trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hogan71088

Gold Partner
Reaction score
Hi All,

When adding a SIP provider to 3CX there's an option for simultaneous calls. I had it set to 1 and tried calling outbound from 2 extensions using the same SIP provider. This failed and only allowed me to call out from one extension. I changed it to 100 and was then able to call out from both extensions and the caller ID number showed up.

Should the SIP provider be able to tell me exactly how many simultaneous calls can be made? Or is it just defined by the number I enter?

Yes to all 3........

The 3CX system has a license limit that will only allow simultaneous calls up to whatever was purchased. A call is defined to be internal to external, external to internal and internal to internal. So for example a 4 call system will support any combination of the above, but keep in mind that an external call coming into the system that subsequently is forwarded back out to a an external number will count as 2 calls.

Then you need to understand how many call paths you purchased from your provider. This is generally based upon the plan type. Some are single paths whereas others are unlimited or even somewhere in between. However, if you purchased a single call path plan (typically sold as a line with so called unlimited minutes) then no matter what the PBX may support you will only be able to handle one call from or to an external number at a time. You could still make 3 internal calls however. The provider should be able to let you know if not in some document describing the plan.

Finally, there is the Internet bandwidth that you have. It too plays a part as it must be able to support the number of desired calls in addition to your normal Internet needs. While phone calls use a small amount of bandwidth, other needs may be much more data intensive and could inhibit your voice streams making them choppy or even cause dropped calls.

From there you should be able to determine what number is best suited for your situation. You can put in a larger number than you need and it won't really hurt anything unless and until you do reach one of the aforementioned limits.

Hello,
I am looking to purchase the license but i'm unclear on the limitations. So in a 4 SC scenario if i have 4 outside calls coming in to the PBX and i try to call internally extension to extension it will fail? so 4 SC refers to internal and external together or just external calls?

Ok i re-read your comments above and i guess the restrictions will not work with our clients.
Seems that internal extension calls should not be subject to such tight restrictions as the outside calls, but i guess they have to make money somehow.

akgrp said:
Hello,
I am looking to purchase the license but i'm unclear on the limitations. So in a 4 SC scenario if i have 4 outside calls coming in to the PBX and i try to call internally extension to extension it will fail? so 4 SC refers to internal and external together or just external calls?

Ok i re-read your comments above and i guess the restrictions will not work with our clients.
Seems that internal extension calls should not be subject to such tight restrictions as the outside calls, but i guess they have to make money somehow.

That is correct, if you have 4 active Inbound Calls and try to make an extension-to-extension call, if you have a 4SC license you would not be able to make the last one, but you have no limitation on the number of extensions you can have registered.

Re: Simultaneous calls for SIP trunk

akgrp said:
Hello,
I am looking to purchase the license but i'm unclear on the limitations.

they can offer 5 SC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NGPMH
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.