In Consideration Simultaneous ring to another extension (VIP & assistants)

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by the60, Nov 28, 2017.

In Consideration Simultaneous ring to another extension (VIP & assistants) 4.9 5 16votes
4.9/5, 16 votes

1. the60

the60 New Member

Greetings.

We often get requests to set up a way for an executive to have an assistant pick up their calls. They often refer to legacy phone systems used in the past.

The request is along the lines of "please set up a button on my assistant's phone so he/she can pick up my phone when I'm busy or away".

Normally, I fulfill this request by setting up a BLF on the assistant's phone, and enabling "Perform Operations (diverrt...etc.)" so the assistant can simply press the BLF key and pick up the boss' line. That call can then be transferred, parked, etc.

The complaints I get with this setup are that:
    • the assistant is unable to determine if any missed calls are theirs or their bosses;
    • their phone does not actually ring, and they have to be within earshot of the boss' phone (not always practical); and a few other silly ones.
    In some cases, I'm also able to make the assistant's phone ring by entering the assistant's extension in their boss' Mobile Number field, and enabling "ring my mobile phone", but this is only applicable to executives that do not have their mobile number in 3CX, which is not always the case.

Even when possible, the assistant then is unable to discern if the call is for them, or, their boss.

I'd like to see a feature that enables simultaneous ring to another extension (i.e., the assistant's), in addition to just the mobile phone.

In a perfect world, this would also invoke a different ringtone, as well as a different message on the display to inform the assistant that the call is for their boss. Ultimately, placing the call on hold (as opposed to park) and having the boss able to pick up from the same hold would be great. If not, a dedicated SP will work as well.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    cwoller likes this.
  2. us1

us1

I like this request.

From the perspective of having others being able to answer the phone for the executive, I think this would be easily remedied with a ring group. Instead of the executive's extension being published, make his/her "extension" a ring group. If nobody is there to answer, then it goes to the executive's voicemail.

However, from a "missed calls" perspective, I don't see a good way around it. If a phone rings, it rings. If it isn't answered, it is missed. This is a function of the phone itself and I don't see a way to avoid the "missed call" conundrum short of looking at the call log for the extension in the web interface.

3. the60

the60 New Member

The issue with is being a ring group, is that, internal recipients of a call from the executive are likely to call back the executive's extension # (based on, say, a missed call), thus bypassing the ring group.

I really think a simple option to add to an extension config is "also simultaneously ring ____", along with a few cool options such as, invoke a different ring tone, and have the phone's LCD display something like "ringing from ____"

This should not be hard to do. It's just a matter of it getting on the roadmap.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    3CXDude likes this.
  4. smithtelco

This thread seems to have died a little. I get requests for this feature all the time. They had it with their Toshiba and NEC systems and they got used to it. Plus this feature is part of the SIP defination.

5. voiptoys

voiptoys Member

You could configure two accounts on the assistants phone, one for the assistant's extension and one for the executive's extension. The phone should show separate voicemails by account, as well as separate missed calls by account.

6. Kobberhjelmen

A workaround
    On the boss Extension, create exceptions in forwarding rules, forwarding calls from all other numbers (000-450, 452-999,when assistant has 451, 00000000-99999999, when numbers in your country is 8 digits) than the assistant to a Queue. The Boss needs to be a member of the queue. When no one is signed in to the queue, or maximum wait time is reached, forward to the assistant.

In this way, when the boss is signed in, people can call him directly (The queue is not affected by the exceptions in forwarding rules). If he doesn't want to be disturbed, or is out of office, he signs out from the queue, and call is forwarded to the assistant. If boss is in the office but signed out, the assistant makes an Attended Transfer to him, making it the assistants callerid calling the boss, making it pass the exceptions in forwarding rules.

7. the60

the60 New Member

This will work, but as soon as the phone gets reprovisioned, it's gone. Looking for the ability to have 3CX set up a BLF key with "monitor other extension" option, and, essentially configure phone with second account in the manner described above.

8. the60

the60 New Member

Interesting. This actually makes sense and I'll have to try it out. In a large org with dozens of VIPs, it could be a bit tedious. Another issue is when reports are generated for all queues, non call-center queues (like these) will appear and throw off the numbers. In the end, what's needed is 3CX' s ability to configure multiple accounts to a phone.

9. Michael Groom

+1

10. 3CXDude

Shared Call Appearance is the solution to this and would solve some other issues too.

I've seen many requests for it here over the years, but nothing seems to come of it.

11. techclarity

We get a lot of requests for this as well.

12. dredd0606

Shared call appearance would remedy this perfectly. Great request.

13. Marty Sabel

I upvote this request

14. the60

the60 New Member

If we see how 3CX handles multiple accounts on the same phone with the new DECT phone config, it's not a big stretch to apply a similar-ish approach to desktop phones.

15. Leon Zetekoff

I agree on shared call - needs to be reflected in ring groups as well

16. CCAdmin

+1

17. Leon Zetekoff

A DECLINE from a device in RG should NOT force the RG to the failure mode. It should REMOVE that device from the current ringing extensions in the RG

18. Sean Devoy

19. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

We are looking in to this feature, a kind of Chef - Secretary feature....

20. Leon Zetekoff

Hi Nick....any idea timeframes? Thanks leon