Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SIP Client for TVs

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petewatterschats, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

Skype has a client APP for TVs Samsung, Sony, Vizio so people who watch Tv can receive and make phone calls

Is any one working on a SIP client APP for TVs that would work much like the SKYPE APP.

This could be a way to also have intercom capability built into the TV

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

3CX is not currently working on a client that could be installed on a smart TV as far as I am aware, but what you could do is use some sort of NUC device of compute stick like product to turn a TV into a windows PC, then install the 3CXPhone app on it.

3. petewatterschats

I want it to work like the SKYPE APP. The way it works some one is watching a TV Program and when a Skype call comes in a Picture-ON-Picture (PIP) windows is displayed for the SKYPE APP and the TV viewer can answer the call and still watch, pause, mute the TV Program.

This has implacations beyond phone call, SIP Intercoms, SIP Door Bells, SIP Cameras, etc.

The Computer stick is comersome because the viewer must change HDMI Ports

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The sort of integration (PIP pop-up for incoming calls) you're seeking is not going to be a stand-alone product (add-on), but something that is offered by the TV set maker.

5. petewatterschats

The TV manufactures allow the ability of an app to share space on the a smart TV. Smart TV's come with standard apps that can be activated with the TV remote. Some will split the screen an allow the TV and app to share the realestate

Skype does not share real estate but can be accessed from the TV.

The PIP is a different thing that I am still researching

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

With a product such as Skype, it is almost a "standard" in that it is recognised, and used by a lot of people, across many devices. (Skype also adds video to the call, something that the majority of SIP calls don't.) Same thing with twitter, Facebook, You-tube, and many others... it makes sense that they are integrated into many of the products we use, such as smart boxes, or TV's themselves. People are familiar with them, and use them on many types of devices. Not so much with SIP. Sip requires that you are using (establish an account with) a VoIP provider, and in many cases, some technical knowledge in setting up the device. If a VoIP provider such as Vonage, were as widely accepted (used) worldwide, then you might see a SIP application built into TV sets. Even as large as they are, they are still a minor player in the big scheme of things, and like many VoIP providers, they don't want you "messing" with the settings on your hardware. Add to this the fact that, for residential customers, the use of land-lines, in general, is in decline, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

If there is money to be made, integrating a SIP client to a TV, then it will happen, otherwise.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.