• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

SIP Forking - phones must powered up certain order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahn6502

Reaction score
My company is trying to use the SIP Forking feature to assign the same extension to desk phones (Polycom IP335) and wireless phone (Unidata WPU-7800) combinations. The IP335 is auto provisioned and the 7800 is manually configured. If I power up the 7800 first and then the IP335, everything works correctly. Both phones ring, accept calls, and can dial out. If I power up the IP335 first and then the 7800, it looks like the line is being held open and if you call that extension you get a short ring to the IP335 and then a busy signal from that point on.
Also if I bring the 7800 up first and then the IP335 so that everything is working and then power the 7800 off and back on, the extension also goes into busy signal mode.

Both phones work fine if they are configured with separate extension numbers on the system.

At one point I thought the problem might be the 7800 but now I'm wondering if the Polycom IP335 might be causing the problem since the problem seems to occur when it is powered up first.

Anyone have any insight in to what might be causing this problem?

Thanks for any help.

3CX's response is we don't support the Unidata WPU-7800

I would first of all, check the 3CX logs to see that registration appears to be "normal' for both extensions, then check the logs after a call has been made to the extensions. Perhaps comparing a call in each scenario, after each set has been power up in a different order.

It should indicate what is happening to the call, when it fails.

Have you tried substituting the 3Cx softphone, for one of the sets? If you still get a failure, it would narrow down the suspects.

I think that your provisioning may be causing the problem ...
After you have provisioned the Polycom, turn off its provisioning feature in the phone management GUI (I'm not too familiar with Polycom so therefore can't point you to the right config page - sorry), and then clear the provisioning in the 3CX Management extension configuration page ['Select phone model']. Then manually set up the Unidata ... I'd then also look to setting each phone on a different local SIP port (e.g. the Polycom on 5062 and the Unidata on 5064).

This should leave 3CX in a situation where it sees both phones on the same extension number, and both will receive SIP Invites - but - both should be able to make or take calls independently ...

If that doesn't work, then set up your phones on two different extension numbers, and put the opposite extension number in the 'mobile number' entry for each, then select 'Ring my extension and my mobile at the same time' on the Forwarding page of each extension. This creates a situation where if either extension number is called, the other phone also rings.

Best regards ...

First of all, thanks for the suggestions.

> Have you tried substituting the 3Cx softphone, for one of the sets? If you still get a failure, it would narrow down the suspects.We
> are using the 3CXPhone PC program,

We are using the PC 3CXPhone program, the PC MyPhone program, and the Droid and IOS apps. They are all working fine.

> It should indicate what is happening to the call, when it fails.

I am seeing an the connection get made but The wireless shows the off-hook symbol on it after the connectionis made and when someone tries to call me I see this:

08-Mar-2013 10:26:25.807 L:4404.3[Extn]: Terminating targets, reason: SIP ;cause=487 ;text="Request Cancelled"
08-Mar-2013 10:26:25.807 Leg L:4404.3[Extn] is terminated: Cause: 487 Request Cancelled/INVITE from 172.23.5.11:5060

>> I'd then also look to setting each phone on a different local SIP port (e.g. the Polycom on 5062 and the Unidata on 5064).

I have tried setting the port on the wireless to a different port but that didn't help.

>> I think that your provisioning may be causing the problem ...
>> After you have provisioned the Polycom, turn off its provisioning feature in the phone management GUI (I'm not too familiar with >> Polycom so therefore can't point you to the right config page - sorry), and then clear the provisioning in the 3CX Management
> > extension configuration page ['Select phone model']. Then manually set up the Unidata ...

I'll give this process a try.

>> If that doesn't work, then set up your phones on two different extension numbers, and put the opposite extension number in the >> 'mobile number' entry for each, then select 'Ring my extension and my mobile at the same time' on the Forwarding page of each >> extension. This creates a situation where if either extension number is called, the other phone also rings.

Actually, this is how I had figured out earlier to set the phones up but 3CX support said I shouldn't need to do this with the forking feature. It does have it's draw backs. We have some people with desk phone, wireless, and cell phones. I didn't see a way to use the checkbox option to ring TWO additional phones. Still, we could live with this as a "work around" but it would be cool to make the forking work, especially since someone told me you couldn't do this. You know what I mean, kind of like waving that red cape in front of a bull...

Thanks again.

Rahn6502 said:
08-Mar-2013 10:26:25.807 L:4404.3[Extn]: Terminating targets, reason: SIP ;cause=487 ;text="Request Cancelled"
08-Mar-2013 10:26:25.807 Leg L:4404.3[Extn] is terminated: Cause: 487 Request Cancelled/INVITE from 172.23.5.11:5060

I'm assuming that 172.23.5.11 is the Unidata WPU-7800, so it is sending a CANCEL shortly after receiving an INVITE.

If you really want to continue to pursue this...I would get a Wireshark comparison of the INVITE sent to the WPU-7800 phone for a failed call, and a working call. This will probably involve the use of a PC connected to a HUB shared with the Unidata WPU-7800. Hopefully there will be a difference between both INVITE messages, that will explain the CANCEL.

Take this information and the contact Unidata , asking why the phone is behaving in this manner. Perhaps they have a forum, where this question could be raised.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm afraid I'm going to write this one off as not ready fro prime time. I'd like to make it work but I've already spent too much time trying and the Unidata company doesn't appear to make it easy to contact their support, same with Polycom.

Besides, using the check box to ring your mobile phone too and then putting the other extension in for the mobile number works pretty well. I figure I could do the same thing for the second phone and put the actual mobile number in for it if I needed to.

I have to say, so far we've been pretty impressed with the 3CX system. Seems like there are multiple ways to accomplish things and the software works really well.

** For you other Unidata WPU-7800 users out there I've got a tip too. We had lots of people complaining this past week about echoing on their phones and I kept looking for a tech explanation but one of our suppliers Engineers (Victor) discovered it was actually caused by the cases that we purchased for the phones. Hard to believe but the sound was feeding back through the case. We increased the holes for the mic/speaker and hopefully that will take care of the problem. Weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.