SIP ID & moving from 3-digit to 4-digit extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by AaronN, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronN

We are looking to move from an old Analog PBX to 3CX and have purchased a 3CX license to test out. Our old PBX system had 3-digit extensions and we will utilize 4-digit extensions on the new system. To help ease the transition we are putting the old 3-digit extension in the "SIP ID" box to accept calls from both the old and new extension. For example, let's say "Joe Smith" has extension 320 on his current phone but will have "4000" on his new 3CX phone. If I put 320 in as his SIP ID, someone can call 320 and still ring through to his new extension.

This works for calls internally; however, from the Digital Receptionist, these 3-digit "SIP ID" extensions don't work. The digital receptionist just repeats itself. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to have this work from external trunks through the digital receptionist? I would like to ease people off of their 3-digit extensions as many people have business cards printed and/or outside contacts that won't know the new 4-digit extension for some time after the transition.

2. AaronN

After doing a bit more testing, I found that a 4-digit SIP ID will work through the digital receptionist. If I put "1000" as the SIP ID on extension "4000", you can use 1000 or 4000 through the digital receptionist to ring the phone. It looks like since the system is setup for 4-digit extensions, the digital receptionist does not allow 3-digit SIP IDs through--only 4-digit IDs to match the extension length.

Any suggestions?

3. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I dont think it is possible

Could you not add a 1 to the 3 digit extension and use that as the 4 digit sip id? So if Joe Smith was 320 and his extension is 4000 then put his sip id as 1320. And use 2 digital assistants to let them dial the extension number.

So on main DA have a message saying "Welcome to ..... etc. If you know your party's extension number please press 1, otherwise for sales press 2 etc."

If they press 1 go to another DA saying, "We have upgraded our phone system. If you know your partys new 4 digit number dial it now, otherwise please add a 1 in front of the old 3 digit number"

Then you can transition it out over time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.