SIP must register each number

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cbrinker, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbrinker

I am currently testing 3CX to use in house and potentially resale.

My SIP provider (it's a local phone company) says I have to register each number given. In our old phone system this wasn't an issue because I could register them all underneath one number. But in 3CX it appears I have to register each number individually under VOIP Providers. This creates a problem with my Outbound Rules, because I have to set one number as the route and then that line is busy if someone is on it. Am I looking at this completely wrong or what? I have a set of numbers that need to look like they are calling from the main line, and I need the main line to receive calls at the same time. Should each person be using their own DID to call out and I should change the outgoing number ID? Just doesn't seem right.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you purchase a business service, or is this an offering designed for individual, residential ATA's? How many "lines' are you using?

If you only use a few trunks, each could be registered individually, and up to 3 trunks could be put into an outbound rule.

As far as changing the outbound caller ID...does your provider allow this?

3. dlazure

I am not sure to understand

How many call can you make through that sip trunk at the same time?

why would you have more than 1 sip trunk account for outbound call?

for my installations we install a sip trunk with let's say 8 sims calls with one outbound rule.

users don't call out from did's ....

you don't have to add each DID's in voip provider

you add them in DID's inside the voip provider account.

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Generally, when using a SIP provider you establish the account which has a primary telephone number associated to it and this becomes a part of the registration process (with some providers). You then can request added numbers (DID) which then become a part of the account, but normally do not need separate registrations. The numbers are used by the SIP provider to distinguish one call from another so that you can use inbound rules to identify and then forward or handle accordingly, but the key is that they form part of the same account and only have meaning in the inbound and still only one registration.

However, the above may be dependent upon the provider's needs and the type of provider service being supplied. Are you subscribing to a service that bills based upon the number of lines you have, or are you using a provider who simply bills based upon a quantify of minutes subscribed to. If a line based provider, I guess I might see why they may be asking for a different registration for each, but I see this more as a limitation on his side.

As you pointed out, it causes added complexity and outbound rules issue. Being SIP, why should I need to worry about a line being in use at all. Most support near unlimited concurrent calls paths which are only limited by the provider or your bandwidth or the call license capability (or a combo). Is the provider also setting the Outbound caller-id to the extent that you no longer have control and now your client base sees them based upon the randomness of which line my call is able to be routed?

I would look for a new provider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.