Sip:number launch app and dial

Discussion in 'Windows' started by wysiwyg, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wysiwyg

I am using 4.0.9340.0
    I have searched the forums for an answer to this and looked through the user guide, however all I have found so far is one relevant topic with a dead link as the answer! I would like to type sip:number into ie and have the application launch (if closed) and dial the number. I have edited the registry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>sip>shell>open>command>(Default) to include "C:\Program Files\3CXPhone\3CXPhone.exe" -dial="%1" but can currently only launch the app and dial a specific number defined in the registry key using "C:\Program Files\3CXPhone\3CXPhone.exe" dial:specificnumber.
    Thanks for your help guys I am a bit lost!

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

To be able to launch an application as you described (including here 3CXPhone) you should create what is called a "protocol handler" (basically, it means to create a .reg file containing all registry entries required to describe the protocol). At this moment, we don't provide such a feature in our installation, so you will have to do by your own.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wysiwyg

Hi - thanks a lot for your response, but I'm not sure I phrased my initial question very well.
    I have created a registry key 'sip' and inputting sip:number into ie causes the following two things to happen:
    1) App launches
    2) Sipnumber is dialled

What I would like to happen when inputting sip:number into ie is:
    1) App launches
    2) number is dialled

The proceeding sip on the dialled number is where i'm having a problem, if that's any clearer!
    Thanks

4. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    Now I understand - and it's normal what's happen:

you want the "protocol" named "sip", but in the registry you have "C:\Program Files\3CXPhone\3CXPhone.exe dial:%1".

Yes, it's correct, but it's the OS which replace the "%1" with "sip:number" - thus phone gets "dial:sip:number", it strips "dial:" and second ":", so you get a dialling to "sipnumber".
    Until here, everything is ok - but is not what you want.

I specified already, some time ago, "dial" has been chosen on purpose to try to don't conflict with other phones in case of installing a protocol handler. So, if you want to use the phone as you want, you will have to use the "dial" one, not the "sip", and the protocol's registry line will be "C:\Program Files\3CXPhone\3CXPhone.exe %1".

Otherwise, you will have to create your own small application, this one being specified in the "sip" protocol, which takes the "sip:number" it gets, strips the "sip:" then invoking 3CXPhone with dial:number.

Hope it helps
    regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. wysiwyg

Thanks so much for your help! Here is the registry changes I made, cut and pasted from a registry export:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dial]
    @="URL:Dial Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dial\shell]
    @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dial\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dial\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\3CXPhone\\3CXPhone.exe %1"

I now have this saved as dial.reg and run it ony machines I install the 3cx phone on.

Thanks again for all your help!

6. MickeM

Not enough...

The client should really be able to handle SIP protocoll or at least be able to handle a request like:
    c:\3cxphone.exe sip:12345
    It is weak to not comply with standards, forcing your customers to build registry files and batch files to make your phone work correctly.

I've tried to solve it myself, but registry wont allow multiple command on parameters like:
    @= "set nr=%1&&C:\\Program\\3CX Assistant\\3CXPhone.exe %nr:sip=dial%"

...nor will cmd in ANY way allow replace like :
    @= "C:\\Program\\3CX Assistant\\3CXPhone.exe %[%1]:sip=dial%"

...and a separate batch file plus a reg file to install and run is not a very pretty solution.

We use CRM software etc that uses sip:12345 standard functionality and just changed from X-lite to 3CX phone.

7. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Which standards? :roll:

8. MickeM

Maybe something like http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/SIP+URI, or the fact that it is used by others like you said:

And maybe it would have been just as easy to implement dial:123, sip:123 or just 123 to be accepted by the 3cx phone? :roll:

/Mike

9. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

You don't answered my previous question - "which standard?"
    And to this - if I properly understand - 3CXphone accepts several command line parameteres; how it can distinguish that, for instance, minimize is a parameter or a call to a skype account? I hope you won't tell me about excluding, I'm expecting something serious :lol:

10. MickeM

Arguing about standards will take us nowhere. Just google.

However, I really understand your concern about colliding parameters but I can't help thinking:

Do you currently or plan to use a parameter called "sip:" to anything else than to make a call?

If not I suggest that you consider adding this as a possibility, as it will not do any damage.

11. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

When I'm hearing about "standards", I expect to get an RFC to read, not being directed to search on Google.
    For your request, you may use the "Feature Request" thread here http://www.3cx.com/forums/feature-requests-5/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.