SIP Provider Questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by David Rhodes, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Rhodes

We are testing out 3CX with our current SIP provider, which is Cyclix. In talking with Cyclix, they say that we need 3 trunks for inbound and 1 trunk for outbound. With the free version of 3CX it seems like you can only add 1 SIP trunk. If I want to add more, I would have to purchase the next license up. I don't mind doing that, but I want to make sure I can get the system to work first.

Is there any way around this for testing?

As of right now, I can successfully call out 100% of the time. I can call to the system every once in a while. Cyclix is saying this is because I need to have all three of their inbound servers, hence the question.

2. Brian Cross

Brian Cross New Member

Never heard of this kind of setup. I use siptrunk.com 1 trunk in and out...

3. vizualpro

I've never heard of it either. We use voipinnovations.com they have a free trial with free DID if you want to test with them.

4. Brian Cross

Brian Cross New Member

siptrunk.com you can create a demo trunk as well.

5. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

I use Nextiva. $25 unlmited per line...1 trunk handles as many lines as I pay for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

There are various trunk providers that require different trunks for various reasons. One such reason may be to help load-balance. So, while not all that prevalent, it is not uncommon.

While I do not use Cyclix, I suspect that it may have something to do with their base SIP trunk plan that causes the original poster to want to use them. Given that it was indicated that Cyclix was stated to be their current provider, it seems that the need for the added trunks would have already been a known factor. I use various providers with multiple trunks and have had no issue. Call direction for a trunk is a non-issue.

If Cyclix is indicating that the added trunks are needed for 3CX only, then this is something that would encourage me to look for a new provider. Given that it is SIP, then any SIP IP-PBX should have a similar requirement. If compatibility is a concern, then Cyclix clearly states on its web site that they are indeed compatible with 3CX.

Having said that, the risk is that while Cyclix states compatibility with 3CX, it is not a supported provider by 3CX. You have the option of getting a license that allows you to continue on. The testing you have performed to date indicates the two function together, albeit that you need extra trunks for complete operational functionality.

If, after getting a license, things still are not right you can press Cyclix to make it right - given their posted compatibility claim and if they can't or won't, there are plenty of other cost effective providers out there that are supported and who have less complicated set-ups.

Not many other PBX providers offer free trials, but the choice is yours.

7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I would recommend using a provider from our supported list to ensure compatibility. Cyclix states that they support 3CX but the fact is that they have not been tested against our platform so we cannot guarantee full compatibility. Furthermore you might need to do some manual configuration since a template is not included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.