Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SIP server on 56k modem

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jant90, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jant90

I wish to start this topic by saying that I don't have any experience in the world of SIP and VoIP and I'm here to check if something specific I want can work.

I have a contract for television, internet and telephony all via the (coax-)cable (Dutch provider called Ziggo, if relevant). While telephone line is VoIP you can connect any tone dialing phone to it so I think the modem converts the VoIP to a regular analog signal.

Now I'm wondering whether I can plug a 56k modem in my PC (or some other PCI card or USB device) and then set up 3CX SIP Server and have it work with the 56k modem. The next step would be that I install the 3CXPhone app on my iPhone and that I can call and receive calls on my iPhone when I'm on my local LAN

I don't have a 56k modem (or even a telephone cable to connect it for that matter) so I wish to check whether this can work in the first place and hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

You better forget about the 56K modem - it is insufficient as speed (nevertheless there are codecs with lower bandwidth requirements), but there are other issues like jitter, etc. Modem technology is something from the near past.

What is the speed of your Internet connection -- if sufficient, you may set a 3CX server on PC in your LAN, configure the port forwarding / mapping in the router and register SIP phones to it, as well as VoIP provider(s). Keep it IP based and avoid analog/digital trunk lines and ordinary phones if possible.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If your provider (Ziggo), will give you the parameters to set up your VoIP service directly with 3CX then you won't need any other hardware (other than a PC to run 3CX).

Since they probably supply the ATA (analogue telephone adapter) that you currently use, it is doubtful that this will happen. Companies that supply service and hardware are usually very reluctant to have customers use their own equipment. This means to get the phone line into 3CX, as a trunk, you would have to purchase a VoIP Gateway, something such as the Cisco SPA-3102.

4. jant90

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately my provider (Ziggo) only supports telephony using their modem. Basically what the modem does is split the signal in internet and voice. The voice output is analog. I depicted it here:
    [​IMG]

The provider only supports making calls via the analog line, no SIP server or anything is available, calls via the internetline are simple not possible.

So that's the reason I asked about the 56k modem, I need a way to connect my PC with the analog line connected to my modem.

Is there anything I can do to make 3CX work with the analog phone line and what hardware would I need in my PC for it?

Thanks.

[Edit] (Placed this post without seeing leejor's post)
    Yes, leejor, the ATA (didn't knew the name for it) is built into the modem that I have to use.

Just to check if I understand correctly: the Cisco SPA-3102 connects to the analog phone line on one end and to my homenetwork on the other end and allows me to run my own SIP server that I can connect to with any SIP client.

The result would be like this if I understood correctly:
    [​IMG]

Then I'm just wondering: can the Cisco run it's own SIP server or do I need to do this on my PC or homeserver?

5. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

It depends too much what you want to do with this analogue line - the way to utilize it by 3CX server is to use a SPA-3102 (or similar device), nevertheless SPA-3102 may be is the best choice.

If you set 3CX server and use the line using the SPA-3102 you may have several extensions (as many as you want) sharing that line, still an analogue port (the Phone port from SPA-3102, which may be registered as extension in 3CX) plus other softphones or IP phones (various brands). Using Internet you may subscribe to additional VoIP services or ask your current provider to provide you SIP credentials for your current line (configured to analogue port in the cable modem), so you can register the 3cx server directly to the provider without need to use SPA-3102 or similar devices.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Although the 3102 is very flexible and can do some amazing things that most of us don't even utilize, it's not going to do much for you on it's own. The VoIP side of the FXO ports wants to register with something, although that can be disabled. Any SIP device (an iPhone running 3CX) wants to register to something as well. If it even worked, you would only accomplish the same as buying a cordless phone and plugging it into the jack of your current ATA. Making use of 3CX and another VoIP provider (and your current service using a Gateway) would give you a lot of options. call forwarding, remote access from anywhere, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.