Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SIP Setup Outbound Proxy

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petewatterschats, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

When setting up a Time Warner SIP Trunk it asks for an IP address for an Outbound Proxy Host.

I am a newbee can someone tell be what this - I understand Proxy servers as part of firewalls but I think this may be something else, is this just the IP address of my router or is it something that the SIP provider gives me

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Time Warner should have set this up and given you the info for the "Telephone Router" in your building.
    Did they give you a bunch of IP's besides the ones for the Internet Access?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. petewatterschats

They gave me noting so I am going to FlowRoute.

What I wanted to Know is that is what the proxy is and how it is used to help my understanding of the process

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

With Time Warner - you would have a proxy if you subscribed to their SIP phone service...
    With Flowroute you are using the common internet circuit and the QOS for VoIP is not the same as if you were using TWC's provided "trunk". So if you are using Flowroute, setting up the sip trunk you would not select TWC.

I use Flowroute since September and have not had any issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. petewatterschats

So the provider tells you if you need the proxy and gives you the information to use it.

FYI, trying to get a straight answer out of TWC is like trnying to drain a swamp

Thanks for your input

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.