• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

SIP<->Skype

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrLunkwill

Reaction score
Hi Im testing Beta3 in Sweden with Teleman.se as VoIP operator and Beta3 works better than Beta2 in registering the lines. I Lost Lines severel times in Beta2 haven happand yet in Beta3. (up and running 8days)

Now to my question
Do you have any plans to do a "Skype to SIP Adapter".

SIp to Skype

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to hear its working better.

We are looking in to SIP to SKYPE. HOwever SKYPE is proprietary, and this is a big problem. I dont personally see a future for SKYPE. Its like Compuserve before internet mail. Or ICQ. Yes its popular, but open standards will win i believe in the end.

If there is an acceptable way to integrate with Skype via their API we will definitely do it. However, with so many SIP VOIP providers available today, and more to come in the future I am not sure it makes sense to work with Skype.

There are several solutions available bridging Skype to either PSTN or VoIP. However, I agree with Nick saying that since Skype uses a proprietary protocol its future is uncertain. Since Microsoft are trying to get a piece of the IP comms market through Live Messenger and are now supporting VoIP in Exchange 2007, it is likely they will have SIP support in Live Messenger shortly, which will most certainly strike a deadly blow to Skype.

Uplink Skype to SIP Adapter
Connects SIP Protocol VoIP calls to the Skype network
Uplink connects SIP protocol VoIP calls to the proprietary Skype phone network. It works in both directions.
Features
Connects both incoming and outgoing calls to the Skype network.
Can be used to make SkypeOut calls from a SIP device or SIP PBx.
Can receive SkypeIn calls and direct them to your SIP extension.
Fully complies with the RFC3261 for SIP signalling.
Quick and easy operation.
System Requirements
Windows 98/2000/Me/XP/2003
Pentium 500MHz or above with at least 32MB RAM
Broadband Internet Connection (for external VoIP lines).
http://www.nch.com.au/skypetosip/index.html

You forgot to mention it costs USD55 ;)

supus said:
Watashi_FR said:
You forgot to mention it costs USD55 ;)
is two variant - costs USD0 (Free) :)
Unrestricted licence for a single installation more info...
http://nch.com.au/action/reginfo.html#uplink
Ah, I couldn't make that out on the website. Also, the link you supply does not seem to point to any license information regarding the Uplink product.
Anyhow, I tried installing your product, and have found a couple of quirks. First, the installation instructions provided with the program are somewhat basic and focus entirely on the Axon IP PBX (understandable since that comes from the same company), I doubt if many people would be able to get things up and running easily on 3CX or any other IP PBX. Second, even though your product can run as a service (on XP, I haven't tried on Win2K or Win2K3), Skype has to be installed and running (which means some user should be logged on to the PC running Skype), which is a major drawback (but this is imposed by Skype so not too much can be done about it). Third, I had a problem when in a test installation I had Skype refuse access to Uplink (just to see what would happen), Skype seems to have no option to allow a previously blocked program access to it and even reinstalling Uplink did not help (I didn't want to go as far as to reinstall Skype). Fourth, when attempting a SIP to Skype call, how can one access a Skype contact from their contact list? Skype IDs are alphanumeric and most softphones (as far as I know) cannot call Skype IDs, only numbers. Fifth, from what I can see Uplink installs some sort of audio bridge between itself and the sound interface on the machine, re-routing audio to a SIP extension. Clever trick, but it seemed to mess up my sound configuration (my microphone refused to unmute with Uplink installed).
Overall, even though I appreciate the effort (especially if the product is indeed free) and I acknowledge that a lot of people would want a solution to link Skype to SIP, I believe that the proprietary nature of the Skype protocol (and the quirkiness of its API) eventually leads to a situation where the integration of Skype into a soft PBX simply isn't worth the effort. Skype is now hugely popular and widely spread, but then so was ICQ at one point in time. With VoIP booming the way it is right now and more and more hybrid solutions for SIP being offered to the general public, I predict that in a few years time Skype will have largely disappeared (or adapted to support de facto standards, more likely, since I doubt that eBay would want to write off their investment that quickly).

Hi, if you are interesterd there is a new software sipPBX<->skype gateway

http://www.stonevoice.com/Products/IPSoftwareSkypeGateway/tabid/989/Default.aspx

I've been trying to interface it with 3CX, until now without success.

Bye,
luca

Hi again,

thank to the Skystone technician I have successfully connected 3CX to Skystone, a new skype gateway. If you need help let me know.

Bye,
Luca

hi masilon,

you can post how you configure the skystone with 3cx please?

i've installed but i don

any word on howto configure 3cx for stonevoice for skype?
Thanks.

Sam H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirLD
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.