SIP Trunk > 3CX > Sangoma A101E T1 > Nortel Norstar ?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by aarodynamics, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aarodynamics

An office that I consult for has a current Nortel Norstar system that they want to continue using as their primary phone system for the time being while they get their feet wet with SIP Trunking. What we're looking to do is connect a 3CX box to a the Nortel system via a T1 connection between the two... Should this work? We currently have the a T1 PRI connected to the Nortel via a local phone provider.

I'm thinking about using a Sangoma A101E card and then just running a 10 foot cable from the A101E to the Nortel system. Will I be able to set up 3CX to do this.

Also, is Echo Cancellation necessary for the T1 card that I'll be using? I was figuring that it wouldn't be since it is just connecting the 3CX box to the Nortel system but please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.

I haven't used 3CX yet for anything other than taking a SIP trunk in and passing it out to SIP phones.

Thank you.

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

I would strongly advise against this. If they want to continue to use the Nortel Norstar they should contact Nortel for a qoute to get a SIP trunk. The setup you mentioned will be unsupported by 3CX and there will be a lot of consulting that you would have to do on your own. I would suggest they replace their phone system with 3CX or else look elsewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aarodynamics

How hard is it to pass a SIP trunk through 3CX to a T1 card so that it appears to the T1 input on the PBX as a standard PRI though?

I'm ok with doing something unsupported as it is just a temporary solution. The business says they absolutely don't want to make a 100% switch to SIP Trunking unless I can demo to them how it will really work.

Thank you.

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

It's not only that Nortel products are unsupported.
    They tend to not work at all with 3CX.

As Nick said above, you either have to use one or the other.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

Hi,
    I may be sticking my neck out here, but this is what the Vegastream set of products are meant to do. They connect to a traditional PBX preferably by ISDN, and then connect to SIP trunks, and to other Vegastreams located at other sites, using SIP. These Vegastreams in turn connect to a traditional PBX. They provide many combinations of solutions to IP enable PBXs with ISDN or analog interfaces.

Kind regards
    Richard Crabb

6. aarodynamics

Why does it matter if Nortel is supported if all I want to do is put a Sangoma card into T1 CO mode and pass a SIP trunk through it so that the Nortel system simply sees the T1 as a standard PRI. The reason I want to do this is so that I can get the customer to purchase a 3CX system and then once they are a happy with its most basic performance, have them purchase new phones for all the employees and entirely move to 3CX.

7. neuronett

Was this ever completed ?
    I have a client who is looking to do the same thing. They currently have Fonality as a front end to their option 11. the fonality is used as their customer service application. Transfer of calls occur accross a T1 connection which connects to the option 11.
    I'm interested in getting this setup going as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.