SIP Trunk DIDs

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by leonp, Apr 17, 2018 at 11:14 AM.

1. leonp

Hi,

I have 120 numbers with my SIP trunk and I need to add them to my 3CX system.

In order for me to use the DID numbers, I have to add them under the SIP trunk, but I don't seem to be able to find a way of bulk adding these numbers to the SIP trunk.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

2. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

No way of importing DDI into the SIP trunk setup.

Just remember you need setup Inbound Rules, where you can import. Create one record , export the settings which you can use as a template

3. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

Hi Leonp,

Jut a tip to save you further time when it comes to routing those DDI's

For your inbound rules at the very least (you should) be able to export a v15.5 template and route accordingly - in the PBX see inbound rules "export".

You may see this but the guide is not current: https://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/importing-dids/

4. leonp

I can't create an inbound rule through the web UI until I have added the number to the SIP trunk.

If I create inbound rules through the export/import method, should I expect this will add the numbers to the trunk?

Thanks.

5. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

I doubt it, I think you would probably need to add the DDI's into the trunk and then you can mult-import your Inbound rules via CSV.

FYI in the DDI's on the trunk you can put in full numbers, or if you have a superseding range you can just wildcard them. So for example: 123456789 would become *789 and then * 790 and so forth.

#5 eddv123, Apr 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 12:26 PM
  6. leonp

Ok, thanks for your help.

Seems like an import function is maybe needed for DIDs on the trunk :)

7. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

8. leonp

I exported one of my DIDs and then added about 50 of them via the import method.

Those 50 numbers were automatically added to my trunk as well :)

eddv123 likes this.
  9. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Please note that the if you are using the wildcard method (*) to add your DIDs then you need to make sure that your numbers are at least 6 digits long so they do not interfere with extension lengths and cause problems with routing. So 123456789 should be at least *456789

10. voiptoys

voiptoys Member

YiannisH_3CX, I'm surprised to hear there is a concern about using the wildcard approach where the number of digits is less than 6 for inbound rules. How does this have anything to do with internal extensions? Further, many T1 providers only send 4 digits so I would have thought I would have run into an issue with this long ago. In the 3CX training classes the only thing I've been told is that you just need enough digits to ensure each route is unique. In theory, therefore, you should be able to use 1 digit (examples: *1, *3, *9, etc.). Has something changed?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    eddv123 likes this.
  11. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@voiptoys
    This is clearly stated in the training material in our academy: https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/basic/configuring-voip-providers/

As an example on how this could affect call routing lets assume that you have a 4 digit length PBX. One of the extensions is 2100 and one of your DIDs is *2100. The PBX will have 2 possible routes for this call and the call will be dropped. If your DID was *32100 then no problem. If you have a 5 digit length PBX then you need at least 6 digits for your DIDs to avoid issues. This is what we advise people to do that want to use the wildcard (*) for their DIDs and we have come up with such issues in the past. If you can ensure that the last digits of the DIDs do not match other DIDs or extension numbers then you can use less.

12. voiptoys

voiptoys Member

What do you do then if your carrier is only sending 4 digits?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

If it can be avoided (choose a different provider) then that is the first option. In cases where this cannot be avoided for any reason then i would recommend going with a 3 digit PBX or make that your DID's do not overlap with extension numbers.