• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Sip Trunks / DIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazteck

Customer
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Hello,
I have 5 inbound trunks (a primary, secondary... for carrier failovers), The carrier can send a call on any of these IPs
My problem is I have a client that has 10 DIDs. Do i really have to enter all 10 numbers into each trunk?
Coming from Freepbx, I had to create a trunk with the IP address and in a separate section I go to inbound route, enter the phone number and destination. Had nothing to do with the trunk

Can someone please let me know if im doing something wrong?

That is a great question actually. I believe that it is going to work without defining the DIDs in the 3cx, as long as the remote side (VoIP gateway, IP-PBX, VoIP provider) routes calls to those DIDs through your trunk.
Yesterday I noticed that one of our SIP trunks has DIDs different than the actual number that external users call to reach the trunk.
So, how does this go? What is the point of DIDs in SIP Trunks/Inbound rules, if the call is going to enter the trunk anyway?
Hopefully someone will answer that question for us.

Yea I noticed that too. But the problem is most of those numbers are direct to different extensions. In order to route correctly you have to add them in the extension as a direct DID. BUT they have to be in the trunk otherwise you can't select it

Hello,

Let me prefix this answer by saying that the PBX needs to match the incoming call to a trunk in order to accept the call. This is called Call source identification and there are different methods the PBX used to match the call to a trunk that i will not go over here as it is fairly complex and depends on many things.

Lets assume there is only one trunk and the PBX can match the incoming call to that trunk without needing to match the DID. In this scenario the PBX can receive any call the provider sends it so adding the DIDs is not necessary. The PBX employs in this instance a "Catch all" function. If the provider sends a call the PBX will receive it and route it to the main trunk destination.
Now if you want specific numbers routed to specific destinations then you need to add the DIDs so Inbound rules can be created and the calls routed correctly.

If you have multiple trunks from the same provider that might cause issues with call source identification then there is a section under the Trunk settings / Inbound parameters for call source identification. Depending on how the provider works you might need to toggle that option on and specify the parameters the PBX will look at to match the trunk with the call.

In the case that you have 5 sip trunks from the same provider and the call might arrive to any of the trunks and you need different routing for different DIDs then you need to add the DIDs under each trunk and create inbound rules for each DID. There also might be the need to switch on Call source identification and adjust the settings accordingly.

For supported providers these settings are applied once you add them using the provided template as we test these scenarios and perform the necessary adjustments. This is why we always recommend using a supported provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davide.luppi
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.