SIP Trunks - Fail Over for Providers - Multiple IP Inbound

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by corporate13, May 4, 2017.

SIP Trunks - Fail Over for Providers - Multiple IP Inbound 5 5 14votes
5/5, 14 votes

1. corporate13

Many SIP Providers send calls from another IP when sending inbound calls. Please vote to add multiple IP addresses as a source accepted. Currently 3CX only accepts calls from one IP. This results in additional SIP trunks having to be created and duplicating DID rules for each sip trunk. I work with a provider that sends calls from 5 IP's. It would be nice for outages to get calls from all 5 of their endpoints.

itce likes this.
  2. Brad Cann

Brad Cann New Member

definitely. i'd like the ability to add multiple IP's in 3cx so we too can have redundancy.

3. steve matten

4. AravindRavella

Much needed to use with voip innovations sip Trunks

5. the60

the60 New Member

I believe that, as long as a valid DID is assigned to a trunk, 3CX will accept a call from any IP, and will route the call based on the inbound rules.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ccexpert

Please 3CX work with Voip Innovations on this. They have 16 endpoints in their network for SIP calls. That is 16 SIP trunks in 3CX. That is ridiculous. On each SIP trunk you should be able to set multiple IPs to accept calls from. Or get us a provider template for them.

7. the60

the60 New Member

You don't need to specify IPs for each possible inbound VI trunk. Just make sure they are whitelisted. 3CX will answer any call from any IP, and match DIDs for routing.

All you need to specify are the outbound VI trunks, and set up outbound rules to route to VI primary, VI Secondary, VI Tertiary, and so on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    accentlogic likes this.
  8. lvtech

I just wanted to confirm what the60 is saying and this practice works. You DO need to turn off call source identification to make it work in all cases.

accentlogic likes this.
  9. the60

the60 New Member

VoIP Innovations does one thing that can be a problem if all 4 VI IPs are used as outbound trunks: An on-net call (source & destination through VI trunks), will come in to 3CX on the secondary inbound IP (64.136.174.30), which also happens to be the primary outbound IP. When this happens, calls do not go through properly. I have found that turning Call Source Identification ON, (To:User Part; LineNumber) solved the issue. I changed this parameter on all 4 VI Outbound trunks.

100% of my clients are on VI trunks.

accentlogic likes this.
  10. itce

Hi the60,

We are using EDPNET, a VOIP providor in Belgium.
    They have 3 different IP based authentication trunks, 1 main and 2 backup.
    I was told by the support of 3CX that it is necessary to enable 'Call Source Identification' as you can see below.

Are you sure that I don't have to configure every inbound rule per trunk?

EDIT: I've just tested this with the option 'Call Source Identification' still enabled and it does not work.
    Inbound calls on an inbound rule that is not configured via the second or third trunk will not get through.
    When the option is turned of, inbound calls will route ONLY to the main number, not the extra DID's that are available.

So please 3CX, I really would appreciate this possibility as we have clients that have 100+ numbers.
    It's not only tedious to create these numbers but even more when you have to make changes to the configuration of these numbers!

upload_2017-9-29_11-29-39.png

Attached Files:

#10 itce, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    jed likes this.
  11. advanced25

I agree that this is a needed feature.

It appears that @the60 has shown there is a workaround for inbound calls from multiple service provider IP addresses, but we also have outbound to consider as well. If we want multiple outbound IPs, then we need to create trunks for each IP of the service provider so that we can add it to the outbound rule. However I believe once we add the additional trunk, then we need to create DIDs for each.

12. Decoratinglife

I didn't believe you when you said that, but I did some research to see if other SIP providers do send calls from multiple IPs and you are right. This should be an added feature here for sure.

#12 Decoratinglife, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  13. accentlogic

accentlogic New Member

+10. Several providers on the supported list do this. Even SIPTRUNK.COM, which offers an SRV record as the default, actually recommended to us using separate registrations for primary (gw1) and secondary (gw2) trunks to avoid SRV record issues.