SIP trunks to VoIP.ms

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by aghcanuck, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aghcanuck

Hello,

New user to 3CX, so apologies if I am missing something and clueless here.

Installed on WS12, virtualized, behind Fortinet firewall. Upgraded software to 14sp3

Firewall checker passed all necessary ports (except 5090, which I am not using).

Defined SIP trunk per VoIP.ms instructions (very basic). I have not registered phones yet to PBX, but have defined an additional extension.

I am not seeing the SIP trunks registering. Had tech @ VoIP.ms confirm no register requests.

I "refresh registration", but do not see anything happening.

Turned on event and activity log to Verbose on 3cx. Not seeing any register attempts.

Does 3CX require a phone registration before nailing up a SIP trunk?

How do you force the trunk to register?

Again...apologies for clueless email here, but find it a bit hard to debug this bugger.

Art

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

i use voip.ms without issue.
    mind sharing steps you went thru to create the trunk?

what voip.ms server you using?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aghcanuck

Hello Craig,

Thanks for replying.

toronto.voip.ms

I have setup direct sip endpoints of various types to the account already. All worked.

Virgin install on virgin server.

Single instance, not tennanted.
    Split DNS with FQDN internal / external defined.
    Fortinet FW with all ports setup and forwarded.
    Using 3CX web server with local created certificate. Ports 80 & 443
    Setup admin and notification emailers (all work).

Very vanilla install.

Setup two endpoints, 100 for operator and 102. Although I have not connected the endpoints.

For SIP trunks, used generic profile. 5060 for ports, toronto.voip.ms for account.

Only difference I had was v14 of 3cX only allows numeric for phone number, which is a difference to the voip.ms instructions. Else use sub-account and password with I re-did a few times to make sure I wasn't fat fingering it.

One thing I have questions about, and it isn't well documented, what is split authentication used for in 3CX?

When I turn on verbose logging I don't see an outgoing registration event, which voip.ms confirmed they don't see anything inbound.

Is there a special SIP tracing mechanism?

Very bizarre...I would expect after definition the trunk to register. Is this not the case? Does it need an endpoint to register first? I will setup an endpoint tomorrow, but this is a little bizarre behaviour to me.

Thoughts?

Art

Followed install

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Check the 3CX Server log right after attempting an outgoing call. The log should also show repeated registration attempts if the first fails. If the provider is not even seeing a registration attempt, then the call should show that it is attempting to route out some way that will never complete, or is attempting to connect to the wrong URL/IP. Could simply be a typo in your settings.

5. greg@summitrad

We were using Voip.ms prior to the V14 upgrade. Once we did the V14 upgrade, we had all sorts of issues with calls not coming in. We had to change providers to one of the supported ones, and that cleared up all of our issues. The logs looked ok, but it just wasn't working.

Greg

6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

to rule out firewall issues - try registering a phone/endpoint directly to Voip.MS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. aghcanuck

Hello...

Thanks for the all of the replies.

It seems that v14 changed some of the configs and how things work. I now have all the sip trunks issues fixed.

For others searching, here is what I did:

1) 3CX does NOT auto bring up trunk lines. You need to go to SIP Trunks, open the SIP Trunk name (VOIP.ms in my case), go to Advanced, change "Require Registration for:", I choose "In and Outgoing Calls". Trunk lit up and was able to trace and debug.

2) You need an outbound rule. Default is NOT all calls go out trunk. So if you setup an outbound rule such as "9 to dial out", and put that in the plan, 3CX does NOT auto strip the first digit. So if you are debugging and see a SIP 603 error message in your trace, that is a dial plan & phone number mis-match. Ensure you pre/post or strip the numbers to ensure the right number is going out.

So again....thanks for the responses. 14 and Voip.ms now working for trunks. I hope this post may help others.

Happy calling!

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to hear that. In previous versions I don't recall having to go into the trunk settings and change anything unless I didn't want the trunk to register.

As you found out, outbound rules are pretty much a given. Unfortunately, the PBX hasn't progressed to the point that it can read your mind as to where to route your call, and how to format the number. :)

Glad you worked it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.