• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Skype and v10

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcasares

Customer
Reaction score
I started to have an issue with what I thought was the 3CX Gateway since we migrated to v10.

I...
- recreated Skype accounts in the Gateway
- recreated PSTN devices in the 3CX Phone System
- used new Skype accounts
- installed last Skype client (5.3)
- removed Skype client and Gateway and after a computer restart started from scratch with the 4.2 client

In any case I can't make Skype calls but I receive them without any problem.
I tested the Skype accounts one by one and they work properly so I was sure it was nothing related to them.
What I saw in Skype Gateway and Phone System logs is that calls with skype outgoing rule are missing all letters but not numbers.

After some further investigation I realized MyPhone is stripping any letter from a call made by the input box at the top. So calling to 05skypecontact effectively tries to route a call to nobody (05 is the code for Skype calls we use in our outbound rules). If I try to call echo123 by dialing 05echo123 I see in the logs that the call is done to 123.

Here you have the log of a call to a named account (skypeaccount):
Code:
09:40:49:457 - Info    : Incoming call from PBX ringing
09:40:49:457 - Info    : Outbound call requested
09:40:49:457 - Info    : Creating a Skype call to account []
09:40:49:457 - Error   : Exception: Skype call creation failed for []: (null)
09:40:49:457 - Info    : PBX call has been ended by PBX

And here you have a call to echo123:
Code:
09:41:54:112 - Info    : Incoming call from PBX ringing
09:41:54:112 - Info    : Outbound call requested
09:41:54:112 - Info    : Creating a Skype call to account [123]
09:41:54:128 - Error   : Exception: Skype call creation failed for [123]:  CALL: Unrecognised identity
09:41:54:128 - Info    : PBX call has been ended by PBX

I really wasted a lot of time in this and I'm astonished nobody reported it yet. :(

Can I have a time frame from when this will be fixed?

Hello,

Skype Gateway is end of life and will not be updated and hasn't been updated for years. It is available as is with no support or bug fixes available. 3CX Is Skype connect Certified and is the preferred method for Skype. Skype is the only service that uses the Alphabet for contact details and is not directly supported in 3CX. I don't see this issue being addressed, or at least not a priority any time soon.

Regards,

Nate

Skype connect needs the same feature as the old gateway... alphabet names. It was a wonderful solution to be able to call any Skype user from 3CX so I'm astonished you're effectively phasing out that. If you're not working on it anymore and plan to remove it please start by removing all the info about it:

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/skype.html
http://www.3cx.com/gateway-for-Skype/
http://www.3cx.com/blog/news/3cx-gateway-for-skype/

Those are the first results for a search about 3CX and Skype in Google. You're misleading people!

The bug is in MyPhone and has nothing to do with the rest.

It is not getting phased out it is just not being updated and hasn't been updated since what, V7? As the issue lies in MyPhone
I will suggest it and see what happens. The links provided discussing Skype Gateway are at least 2 1/2 years old, and there is no documentation regarding V10 and Skype Gateway support and interoperability.

nbailey said:
...and there is no documentation regarding V10 and Skype Gateway support and interoperability.
There is no documentation because it's the same as the old one. It works the same way as before and needs no update or change. Not broken, don't fix it... it seems your company is following that rule so I advise you to ask your team before answering. ;)

It seems that with one of the last service packs we are unable to dial Skype users again from 3CX MyPhone.

If I want to call 05skype.user I get an error. Not if the user is 05skypeuser.
It seems that a dot is not allowed in phone numbers, not even during input of entries in global or local phone books.
How can we overcome this?

Will Skype dialing be properly supported again or should we forget as a distinction from other telephony solutions for 3CX?

Not sure if this s any help, I have used skype through 3CX although not using their software to provide the bridge. In order to dial skype users from a standard phone I have a range of numbers in the outbound rules set as such -:

940 - echo123
941 - user.one
942 - user.two

I use the dial rules to see the number (941) strip the three digits and prepend with (user.one) and send out on the the skype gateway. It is working fine in V10. Would that work for you or is it the 3CX skype bridge that causes the problem.

I couldn't use the 3CX solution as the sever in question was on a PDC and that is not supported.

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I know that would work but is unpractical for daily usage as normal users of the platform won't be able to create rules as they need. It seems the issue is with the 3CX My Phone software that now strips non numeric characters. Might need another dialer to send the proper number to the PBX.

I don't know if this work with skype numbers but it might be worth a try. I had a customer who wanted the users to be able dial from their computers but did want to give them any access to 3CX. We used this solution.

Available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/siptapi/

A short SIPTAPI installation tutorial .....

On 32bit Windows
=================
1. Copy siptapi.tsp from x86 folder into your Windows system32 directory
(usually C:\Windows\System32)
2. Install and configure SIPTAPI using the telephony options from control panel

On 64bit Windows
=================
1. Copy siptapi.tsp from x64 folder into your Windows system32 directory
(usually C:\Windows\System32). This gives you full TAPI support with 64 and 32bit
TAPI applications
2. If you want to configure SIPTAPI not only from the telephony control panel and from
64bit applications, but also from 32bit applications, copy the 32bit siptapi.tsp from
x86 folder into your WoW64 directory (usually C:\Windows\SysWow64)
3. Install and configure SIPTAPI using the telephony options from control panel

To install go to Phone & Modem in the windows control panel select advanced tag and add. Select siptapi Service provider 0.29

The configuration is as follows :-

SiP Domain - The local IP of your 3CX Server (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Sip Out Bound Proxy - The local IP of your Phone and its Port followed by ;lr(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060;lr)

User - Your extension number

Password - The password your extension uses on 3CX

Then go to a contact in outlook, right click and select call contact. On the first occasion you will need to select dialing options and drop down the box in line properties and select SIPTAPI v0.2.9 Debug. Once you click OK this selection should be remembered.

It works very much like the 3CX Tapi service, once you click call a contact a call is placed to your extension, as soon as you answer the call is made out from your phone. This works fine with normal phone numbers. I haven't given it a try using skype but it may work for you.

Sorry that was no use, just tried it, SIPTAPI will only pass numbers, not skype user names.

I couldn't find a way to use it so we might need to remove the Skype gateway after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leowong
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.