Skype calls via Hardphone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jwnesbitt, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwnesbitt

HI
    Is there any *easy* way to make skype calls using a hardphone that does not allow letters to be used as numbers.

I am using 3cx version 8 free with the skype gateway installed.

If I use a softphone, then i can call a Skype ID by typing in the skype name, and my rules sort it out and direct it through the correct channels.

I have a Philips VoIP phone and a Siemens VoIP phone that I would like to accomplish this with ?

Thanks

Jody

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Jody

Here I've described how I'm using my Grandstream, maybe helps you also
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/cannot-make-outgoing-calls-11949.html#p61530
    Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jwnesbitt

HI

Thanks for that, I am doing that for people that are already in my skype address book, but is there a way to call a new contact

for example, username @ skype:

james.bolt using some sort of rule

In the softphone, i just type james.bolt, and it works great.

Jody

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I don't see this working the way you want because the phone itself must know to push the letters through to 3CX but every phone I know of will either error or will transcode them into their DTMF equivalents. This would also be an issue with phone's dial plans. Also, think about this, a phone has to send numbers to the PBX, how can it know what letter you are trying to send based on the number? Lets say you want to send ABC, the numbers being sent are going to be 222. There is no way to interpret that back into letters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jkramers

I use outbound rules for calling skype nos. from my hardware phones...

e.g.
    rulename: user1@skype
    calls to no.(prefix): 555
    no. length: 3

Route: skype gateway strip:3 prepend: skype.username (aplhanumeric string)

So that if I dial 555 from any handset the outbound rule strips the 555 and adds the skype alphanumeric username to the callstring.

works a treat!

It does mean entering an outbound rule for all the skype users you want to call though.

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

And you have to set outbound rules before you can dial anyone. That doesn't help the average user who isn't an admin and wants to dial a skype account.

7. jilldemi

I never knew this one.. I always use my headset for calling my contact in Skype. Thanks for sharing..

8. jwnesbitt

Hi

this is the way I am currently doing it, but as Kerry said, you have to create a rule for every user you want to call, which in itself is ok, but when you want to call someone that's not in your preconfigured list, it a right hassle.

Kerry, thanks for clearing it up, i guess i was hoping there was some way around it

jody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.