Skype gateway Set up issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jonners59, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

I have been trying to install the Skype Gateway all day with no joy.

I backed up my system and then downloaded and installed the latest system upgrade, then restored the config.

I setup the Gateway accounts on the 3CX - 3 of them....

I then downloaded the Skype gateway SW, deactivated the UAC and then installed the SW... It then stops at setting up the User Account. It just hangs. I have left it for a couple of hours, no movement. To stop it I have toi use the ctrl + Alt + Del, which can't be healthy.

I have tried several times and I have also tried on two another machines. Any ideas...?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Either nobody understands my query or nobody has the answer... No replies.
    What I have been trying to do is install the Skype gateway on a portable machine running Vista Home Premium so that it can be used by a home worker on their laptop (or PC).

The software install stops installing when it gets to the point where it has to create the new Laptop/PC user account. It just hangs.

Can anyone help me please?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. helptech1

I'm not sure I understand what your trying to do? Are you trying to set this up for Mobile users on their equipment?

Normally you'd setup the Gateway at your office so Skype users can call your 3cx phone system. For your remote / mobile users, you have 2 choice.

1. Install the Softphone client so they can connect to the office phone system
    2. Give them skype and let them connect from their mobile system to the gateway installed at the office.

Hope that helps. Replys on the forum sometimes never seem to come.

PS I'm having issues with the gateway install correctly as well, but well past the create user step.

Good luck

4. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Thanks for that, "helptech1"...

The issue is just installing the new Skype Gateway. Whatever machine I try and install it on (and it states in the instructions it installs on any machine), the install application allows me to in-put the settings (extension, port, etc), then moves to the PC User account settings page (User Name and Password). After completing and clicking "Next" is just hangs...

I have noticed when doing a right click on "My Computer" that within "Properies", selecting "Advanced System Settings", "Advanced", then "User Profiles", there are some strange entries, which may be the install application's new incomplete user accounts.

If you can help me past this stage, that would be great.

Glade to see someone else is struggling with this install too - sorry. Implies there is something not quite correct in the app itself. It is only a Beta, but I wish whom ever is responsible for it's development would take note and help - please.

5. igor.snezhko

igor.snezhko Active Member

Try to make this gateway manually http://wiki.3cx.com/Home/supported-gateways/skype-to-3cx-part2
    I cannot found Part 1. It was removed by 3CX :cry:

6. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Thank you Igor
    That is really good :lol: - bit complex for me, but I have printed off and will go through and have a bash.

Does it also show the presence of the "Contacts" and the "Contacts List" in anyway and I assume it does the Skype to Skype calling, rather than PSTN?

In our instance, for me it is a supliment to what I have installed (3CX with PSTN and VoIP gateways), it also allows me to put everything in one place on one communication platform and I also want to use it to get my wife away from the Skype client interface/service and to use the 3CX... sprat to catch the mackrel.. So I am hoping it will work for this type of instance.

The trouble with these types of projects is that one thing then leads to a bright idea, which then leads to another. In this case, even before I install this I am starting to think of, what about...?????? The Instant Messaging element :idea: . That being setting up the IM for the Skype and MSN on the 3CX. Can that be done too?

I am getting very sad. I need a life.

7. igor.snezhko

http://www.3cx.com/forums/how-to-integrate-3cx-with-openfire-xmpp-jabber-server-9951.html

8. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

No, no,, no, can't be.... Another project! Agh!

If I can install and make this server work with the 3CX and get it to display on the X-Lite client that will be funky... Just need to then get the Skype one to work.

Oh, hell, I need a life!

9. igor.snezhko

Friend, you requested a chat support, I showing a way.

10. depppped@yahoo.com

To all that can use this info. I had the same issue described in this posting. Upon installing the 3CX Skype Gateway onto Windows Vista Enterprise sp1, as the admin, my install would lockup after I put in a name for the user account. (Any name by the way)
    My workaround follows.

I was able to install this Gateway program on an Windows XP SP3 machine running windows installer 3.1. (No problems at all)

I was not able to install it under Windows Vista Enterprise SP 1 using installer versions 4.0 or 4.5. (4.0 is native to Vista) 4.5 can be downloaded from the Microsoft site. I had to use the detailed instructions that follow.

1). Start the install of the gateway program. (the initial click only) The main install screen will appear.. do nothing else till after step 2.
    2). Bring up windows task manager. Ctrl + Alt + Del start task manager.
    3). In Task manager select the processes tab.
    4). There will be multiple instances of MSIEXEC.EXE.
    5). lOCATE THE ONE THAT IS APPROXIMATELY 3342K IN SIZE. (Do not Terminate this one)
    6). Terminate the other Msiexec process or processes each about 1452k in size.
    7). Click next
    8). The Skype location screen will come up.
    9). Click next.
    10). Enter the default or whatever your phone trunk credentials are into the (3) boxes. (typically 10000)
    11Specify SIP IP, SIP port etc. screen will come up. Put in the appropriate info. Your SIP PBX box..
    12). Click next.
    13). Single network card or if u have multiple cards choose whichever u are going to use for the interface.
    14). Click next.
    15). Put in your Gateway port or choose the defaut 6060.
    16). Be on the lookout for other instances of Msiexec processes to start. about 1455-1732k in size.
    17). Terminate them as they appear.
    18). After you put in whatever Windows account u are going to use and password.. (I made up a password as I filled in the
    password box.) which means the password did not exist until I typed it in at that moment.
    19). The machine will do the simulated lock which brought you to this forum looking for this document.
    (make sure the only instance of msiexec that is running is the one around 3645k in size.
    20). Once you Terminate the other or others around 1954k in size your screen will advance past this nagging screen and take you to the
    select Installation folder.
    21). Choose your install folder.
    22). Click next.
    23). Ready to install will come up.
    24). Terminate the new instance of msiexec that appears. (about 1425k in size)
    25). Click install. you thought I was going to say to click next didn't you..
    26). Close the new instance of the msiexec process.
    27). Installation of Gateway for Skype will appear..
    28). Right before the install is done another instance of msiexec will appear.. Delete it... about 1454k in size.
    29). The install will finish and it will say Completing the 3cx Gateway for Skype Setup Wizard.
    30). Some system processing will take place and a Dos window will open. Some more processes will run and ask you to login the new Windows account you put in at the beginning of the installation. (I suggest you at the beginning give this account any permissions you want it to have).. Sorry for this one but you can change the permissions later.. I know I know I should have told you earlier.. but it is what it is.. remember it will work anyway..
    31). Info: No tasks running with the specified criteria will appear at the top of the dos screen.
    32). Put in the Windows account password.
    33). It will accept it... p.s. it will even accept one that you made up on the fly while installing this application.. how about that..
    34). It will run some more processes and then tell you that skype is not connected..
    35). Login to your skype account and your task will be finished.
    36), Your Gateway will now be connected.

If you get stumped at this point refer to this link for clarification. http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/skype.html

If this has been helpful please post in this thread..

RemotePCDiagnostics.com.. Leave the FINGERWORK to us......... coming soon..... Enjoy..

11. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Argggh! So close, and yet so far. I was extremly chuffed when I saw your response. the others required downloading a number of apps and all seemed more complex and problematic. And besides the 3CX app is meant to work on any machine and be simple for us less capable types.

However, I did NOT make it to the end. I nearly got there and quite clearly you are a genius and on the right track.

I managed to get to asbout line items 25/26....... And then it stopped. SO VASTLY further than before. The message I am now getting is:
    "The Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in Safe Mode, or if the Windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact.......blah, blah, blah....". :oops:

Had I at this point removed too many of these MSIEXEC.EXE? :?:

Any ideas? What is Safe Mode? Thought that was an IE7 add-in or start up option.

PS: FYI and others. The MSIEXEC.EXE is not always about 3342k in size. mine was over 5000k. I noticed 3 came up each time. The one I wanted - found through trial and error, and the other 2 were created by Service and the other by my user account ID but being tagged 32-bit. I run 64-bit (don't laugh. Someone has to use it). I kept a note of the ID, because after a while with all the entries and juggling it was easy to forget which was the one I was working with.

12. kanshare

Hi,

I too have recently had one silly mistake after another. The latest is the skype gateway.

Option 1
    May i suggest that you do a right click and then run as administrator (the normal situation is that a pop up screen will come up and ask for permission to run as an administrator. A quirk with vista even when you are an administrator. But in this case it doesnt pop up) Well one option is to do it that way.

Option 2
    Else do this go to programs - control panel - user accounts. Then in the main window there is a feature Turn user account control on or off. (Turn it off) after that you application installation should go through.

It went through for me. So you have two methods to achieve the same result.

By the way on another topic i found the planet VIP-480 works with very little effort when you know how to.

Regards

KANSHARE
    http://www.kanshare.com

13. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Thanks for this, but I had already done these actions... Glad you got yours going though.

14. igor.snezhko

Use new Gateway 2.0 http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-gateway-sip-to-skype/

15. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Yipee. Found some time to try again. This time I used the new tool and it worked well. Very easy to install. Great job guys. Love the "create" additional accounts tool, so simple!!!! :lol:

Now the new problem and some questions:
    The big problem
    . I have found that with Skype on I start running up huge sessions on whatever machine is running it. Now that I have multiple instances on my 3CX server, this is going through the roof and is causing the router/DSL to lock out and hence we get no service at all. Anyone experience this for themselves and did you find a solution? :x

The questions
    1. How do we get access to the Contacts in Skype
    2. How do we add new contacts via Skype? Access to invitations is closed using the 3CX
    3. How do we get on-line status?
    4. Send IM?

None of these maybe possible, but if they are I'd like to capitalise on them.

16. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Since installing the GW, my Server is running huge amounts of sessions, so much so that my ISP blocks access, so I have to resort to a router re-boot. This makes the 3CX useless, as calls can not come in or out and the only way of knowing is when logged on trying to browse the internet.

Can anyone help me?

17. kanshare

second you on the first 3 questions. I havent figured out how to do that too....

Hence i can receive skype calls but not make them with these accounts via the PABX.

As for the IM messages it is said not to be possible via the 3cX. (refer to their own account access for us to contact them. it states no text messaging or something like that.)

So if you get answers on the first three it would be great.

18. dapatter

call skype contacts

hi is there an easy way to call skype contacts when the gateway is setup, rather than having to manually convert the phone to text and enter skype names, is there a way to make this appear in a directory someone showing online contactS?

19. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Sorry, I gave up on Skype Gateway. It was too limited and the sessions issue was never resolved.

20. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

To be honest, even now I don't know which gateway version do you use - almost all your messages referring gateway are dated before releasing integrated GW 2.0.
    There is a dedicated topic
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/forum-rules-read-to-get-answers-93.html
    No version numbers, no tracelogs provided, no configuration description.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.