Skype Outbound Only

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MarkLFT, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkLFT

Is it possible to set Skype Connect for outbound calls only? It seems we must subscribe to an inbound line on Skype, even though I will never use it.

We are based in Asia, and all the countries I deal with are not listed to get a local number there. So I end up getting one in another country, even though it will never be used.

Also, I have registered a number in the UK, now when we use a SIP phone to dial out, the call appears to be coming from the UK number, even though it is actually coming from me in Thailand. Does this mean Skype are charging me for an International call from our UK number to Thailand? If so, this will get very expensive very quickly.

All I actually want is for our outgoing calls to be routed via a Skype account so we can use cheap VOIP calls. Is this possible?

Thanks

Mark

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the specifics (billing) of Skype Connect, but most VoIP provider follow some general rules. No mater where you are, in the world, the Internet part of the call is not where costs are incurred, and how this work for each provider is going to be different. To get the call to a PSTN line that you are calling, at some point along the way, it passes onto the regular telephone network. Where this happens, and where you are calling, will generally determine what you pay for that call. Larger providers will have more "points of presence", and much better (lower prices) contracts with other providers, which means lower cost calls, to more locations.
    So, if you have a contract with a UK VoIP provider, and a called party "sees" a UK number, then no matter where you are in the world, your cost, to other UK numbers, should be no different than if you were in the UK, whatever that cost may be. If you are calling to a number elsewhere in the world, then the cost should be for a call originating in the UK to that "foreign" number with rates set by your provider.

As far as using Skype Connect for only outgoing calls...3CX can be set to ignore any incoming calls on a trunk, you don't have to answer then, or even be aware that they are there. However, I suspect that any call placed using Skype, will show the number you were assigned by them. In that case, people may attempt to call you back using that number. You would have to confirm with Skype whether there is a way of changing the outgoing caller ID.

It sounds as if you have some questions that should be directed to your service providers, so that you are clear about what you will pay for calls to each destination. You don't want a big surprise on your bill(s) at the end of the first month.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

4. MarkLFT

Many thanks for the replies, but due to the complications with Skype Connect, and also with our Linksys PSTN Gateway and the Android PUSH issues, we have decided to switch to a Elastix PBX system. This seems to better support all that we need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.