Skype returns 404 User unknown, not registering

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by markatisomer, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markatisomer

Getting this back from Skype:

Registration failed for: 10000@Skype for SIP - Worldwide; Cause: 404 User unknown.

10000 is the default "Virtual extension number" that 3cx uses . I tried setting that to my SIP ID (9905xxxxx), but no dice

User ID and password work fine with X-Lite and ALL ports are open and pointed at my 3CX box...

I HAVE to believe this is a common config issue

2. markatisomer

[CM102001]: Authentication failed for SipReq: REGISTER sip.skype.com:5060 tid=714baxxxxxxx cseq=REGISTER contact=99051xxxxxxxx@204.15.0.xxx:5060 / 2 from(wire); Reason: Credentials don't match, check that authorization-ID and password match the ones in extension settings

What is it trying to tell me doesn't match? How do the extension settings affect registering the PBX?

3. markatisomer

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It would appear that Skype isn't happy with the User or password that you are sending.

Perhaps the wording is misleading...to many SIP servers a device that registers could be considered an "extension".

I don't use Skype Connect (just the gateway), So I can't help you beyond that.

5. markatisomer

Thanks for the info, however I have made 100% sure the user Id and passwd are correct. Tried both cut and paste and also carefully typing it in several times. It almost seems that the user ID or passwd are being screwed up by 3cx...

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You didn't by chance do a cut and paste of either the user name or password, did you? It has happened in the past that unseen characters can get into the fields and cause a failure. I'm wondering if you might get some clarification of the issue from someone at Skype, perhaps they can tell you what they are actually seeing, that is incorrect.

You may also what to try something like Wireshark. It might give you a clue as to what direction to pursue next.

7. hainesk967

Double check your port forwards and SIP server and Outbound proxy info. Also, in Skype connect, check your
    profile details --> authentication details, and make sure you're using "Registration" and not "IP Authentication". You toggle those by clicking on one of the tabs. You'll see a green check mark on the tab you're using.

8. hainesk967

Also, I tried using a bad user name or password and I get a 401 error "Unauthorized", not a 404 error, so you're user name is correct. Check to make sure your phone numbers are in all the right places as well and are in the 11-digit format (18887775555) without dashes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.