slight delay on diverted calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Anonymous, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When having calls that have come from the DA and then to a desk phone which then diverts to an external number (in this case a mobile) there is a really slight delay on the calls both ways which means people talk over the top of each other its not very long at all not even a second and most people dont notice but its enough to notice if you hear it all the time. Any ideas? its running on a server with more than enough strength to run everything

2. jantoney

Hey

Are you using a PSTN > VOIP converter?
    What brand model and have you upgraded the firmware?
    Are you using soft or hard phones?
    What switch are you using?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you using a PSTN > VOIP converter?
    no
    What brand model and have you upgraded the firmware?
    as above
    Are you using soft or hard phones?
    hard phones linksys SPA941
    What switch are you using?
    dell powerconnect 24 port

cheers

Luke

4. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

So your call originates as a VoIP call, comes into your 3CX, then back out as a VoIP call which then goes to a mobile?

Does your gateway do QoS? Is the outbound VoIP call routed through a different provider?

You can see there's going to be quite a bit of latency in that setup already though can't you? Purely from the distance the call has to travel. I'm assuming you get very little delay when talking via a handset local to the 3CX?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jantoney

hey Luke,

MICHAEL - Your right about the QOS factor... thats why i asked about the switch to see if its QOS capable, and then i must have forgotten to ask what the router was!

if you are using only VOIP connections comming in and out then it might be the VOIP provider....

If you wanted to eliminate a few things then you could try the below few setups...
    - change the inbound rule to go direct to the extension that forwards to the external number - This will eliminate the DR
    - Change the inbound rule to go direct to an external number and not through any extension - This will eliminate any extension forwarding issues

other than that it could be your internet speed....but more than likely just the fact that your going IN/OUT via VOIP and you will need to expect some delay!
    I would see if your VOIP provider has a Business Grade VOIP service where they may run less calls on the network backbone.

Does that make sence.. sorry its 1:49am in australia and im getting tired..

If you have any results to anything above then post back!

6. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Alternatively, you could raid the piggybank and see if one of these would work on your system:

http://www.discountcomms.co.uk/acatalog/GSM-Gateways-VoIP-2N-Fixed-Cellular-Terminal-FCT-Premicell-UK-Discount-Store.html

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

QOS isnt needed as its a stand alone BB line (8mb) just for voip, and usually you notice the stutering rather than the delay when there isnt enough bandwidth. I think its probably some latency in the 2 voip hops. Ive had a look around after your gsm to voip suggestion and i think this could be interesting http://www.e-xcessories.com/estore/portech-mv370-voip-gateway-asterisk-trixbox-p-2628.html?ad=FroogleGBP&currency=GBP and only 165 quid which is nice. Ill get one of these and give it a go!

8. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Looks interesting - please keep me updated on how well it works as that might become a standard addition to any 3CX deployment for me if it's trouble-free.

(incidentally, it might be an 8mb broadband line, but remember that's just inbound, you've got to consider both directions).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.